Wheel decision

welwell

Hello

I've been offered some new wheels for my Terrano van, I'm interested in them because they have very good condition BFG All Terrains on them. He wants £250 for all four, seems like a good price to me. The tyres retail for £105 at least each. One thing they are bigger than the standard size fitted on my van, they will fit because they came off a Navara. If I put these bigger wheels/tyres on how will it effect the performance of the van, fuel consumption/speed etc etc?????????? Is it worth putting bigger ones on. What are the advantages apart from it looking better???

I have bfg at's on my landy that are wider than standard and stick out of the wheel archs, be prepared to get a lot of mud up the side of the truck! even muddy puddles irritate me now, wil be going back to narrower ones next time.

also the wider ones aren't great on wet grass as they just float around on top rather that getting a lot of grip

A larger rolling radius will give you a slightly higher top end speed, but your speedo will read the same as if you had the OEM tyres fitted. Depending on the rim offset you may need to change the stops to prevent rub on bodywork. This will reduce the lock a little.

Bigger tyres effectively gear the motor up it can also affect the “pulling away” particularly if you are towing. It shouldn’t be an issue on a terrano.

If you only get 4 of them your current spare will be useless because of the differing sizes and if you get all 5 the wheel cover probably wont fit.

Andy

A larger rolling radius will give you a slightly higher top end speed, but your speedo will read the same as if you had the OEM tyres fitted. Depending on the rim offset you may need to change the stops to prevent rub on bodywork. This will reduce the lock a little.

Bigger tyres effectively gear the motor up it can also affect the “pulling away” particularly if you are towing. It shouldn’t be an issue on a terrano.

If you only get 4 of them your current spare will be useless because of the differing sizes and if you get all 5 the wheel cover probably wont fit.

Andy

:dito: you may need a wheel spacer. If the wheel sticks out over the body work it is illegal and you will need extended wheel arches! BFG Great tyres!

what size tyre are you gonna run? if its only 31 x 10.50 the effects will be barely noticeable. if it scrubs a touch on full lock wind your steering lock stops out and give the torsion bars a good cranking if you cant afford a lift kit.

i run got a 2001 hilux turbo diesel with 37 x 12.50 tyres, thats 8 inches taller than standard tyres. my speedo is now out by 22mph!!! fuel consumption is dramatically increased, from 400miles per tank down to 290. torque is greatly reduced too. i changed my diff ratios and speedo drive gear ratio to compensate

what size tyre are you gonna run? if its only 31 x 10.50 the effects will be barely noticeable. if it scrubs a touch on full lock wind your steering lock stops out and give the torsion bars a good cranking if you cant afford a lift kit.

i run got a 2001 hilux turbo diesel with 37 x 12.50 tyres, thats 8 inches taller than standard tyres. my speedo is now out by 22mph!!! fuel consumption is dramatically increased, from 400miles per tank down to 290. torque is greatly reduced too. i changed my diff ratios and speedo drive gear ratio to compensate

I'm gonna have a proper look tomorrow but I think they are indeed 31x 10.50. Currently the van has 235/70 r16 on. Do you think they would swap over with no need for farting about with stoppers and torsion bars??? Would these increase fuel consumption a lot??