Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

General chat Discuss every day issues in the tree care industry. If you're unsure where to post your topic please choose this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-01-12   #1 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

BT broadband problems and just can't seem to solve them. Help!

This year I've called BT Broadband technical 19 times with issues with poor service or no service. In each instance it's been their fault either on the the line or exchange etc etc etc etc ...

But it's wearing thin now. I've filled in their complaints forms and then get a call saying 'sorry about this' ... but the only thing they suggest is calling the technical helpdesk again.

What do you do? They seem powerless to act other than their prescribed script and I can't face the same battery of tests they keep asking me to do. It gets fixed, lasts a week or two then something happens.

Did a speed test just now and it amounts to 0.18 Megs

Is there a way of speaking to someone with the power to actually fix things?
Old 25-01-12   #2 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Re: BT broadband problems and just can't seem to solve them. Help!

Have you tried the threatning to change provider trick?

Unlike other providers BT has plenty of expert engineers so they should be able to help you.
Old 25-01-12   #3 (permalink)

My bt service has been well shonky recently too,always been ok up till a month ago or so.
Hope you get it sorted out soonest.
Old 25-01-12   #4 (permalink)
Supporting member, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Ask for a discount on your monthly bill as there not providing you with the service you've asked for. My brother was with them nothing but trouble so he canceled contract and brought a dongle as it was faster.

Other than that change to virginmedia
Old 25-01-12   #5 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

I've tried everything.... moaning, crying, exasperated, helpless, worn out, inconsolable, angry, sad, resigned..... it doesn't make a difference.

Straight away tried the 'will try another provider' - after the 10 minutes I spent talking to the customer services on that call she all but said 'thank god!'
Old 25-01-12   #6 (permalink)
NFG

Hi,

There are a lot of factors that govern the speed & quality of broadband you receive, however out of all the many providers that I have dealt with BT seem the least interested in resolving them for the domestic customer.

So, are you sure the problem is with BTs service?

To start, could you please post your router make, distance from exchange & what you have done to determine that its BTs problem, also if you have any neighbours with BTBB do you know what speed they are getting?

N
Old 25-01-12   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
This year I've called BT Broadband technical 19 times with issues with poor service or no service. In each instance it's been their fault either on the the line or exchange etc etc etc etc ...

But it's wearing thin now. I've filled in their complaints forms and then get a call saying 'sorry about this' ... but the only thing they suggest is calling the technical helpdesk again.

What do you do? They seem powerless to act other than their prescribed script and I can't face the same battery of tests they keep asking me to do. It gets fixed, lasts a week or two then something happens.

Did a speed test just now and it amounts to 0.18 Megs

Is there a way of speaking to someone with the power to actually fix things?
cripes i thought the 1.2mb we get on a good day was poor, i have to say were not with BT and they weren't much cop at helping with the problem. But eventually they got the BT engineers out to look at it, who were very helpful themselves. But couldn't find much wrong that could be sorted, basically too far from exchange, poor cable with too many repairs in it.

But it does make you desperate when you ring up help desk and they keep asking you to try the same thing again and again........i might not be the best with technology but even i know turning it off and on cure's 99%of technology problems!!!
Old 25-01-12   #8 (permalink)
VEG
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012

Why do you put up with it? Are you ringing them on a freephone number?
Dont threaten them just go ahead and change your provider.
Old 25-01-12   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

We had a similar problem for a while, the engineer who came out was good and traced the fault to a neighbour 1/4 mile up the road who had damaged the cable putting the drive in. It was repaired but then a while later the line got struck by lightening and when they repaired it they only patched it up, our broadband is fine but our phone line is crap, very faint. We can't get them to replace it as its nearly 4 miles of cable and it only serves about 10 people. simple economics and one of the bad points of living in the sticks. I wish they could invest some of the money they are spending giving city folk fibre optic broadband on improving rural services. I get 1.2 meg, fibre gives 20meg!

www.tdtreeandlandservices.co.uk
Old 25-01-12   #10 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFG View Post
Hi,

So, are you sure the problem is with BTs service?

To start, could you please post your router make, distance from exchange & what you have done to determine that its BTs problem, also if you have any neighbours with BTBB do you know what speed they are getting?

N
BT hub 2

Distance from exchange 3.5 miles

BT have admitted each time there seems to be a problem with the line or a problem with the exchange i.e. they do a line test and say 'yes we have found a problem'

When they reconfigured the line which they said is like re booting your computer at times at the beginning of the week speed was 2.8 Meg. So clearly the potential is there for a half decent speed.

So why the problems? They can't tell me!!! They're useless?