Compact tractor clutch

Logarithm

I've got a small Iseki tractor that moves trailers around and such which I have not used for about 4 months,went to use it yesterday and couldn't get it in gear basically the clutch wouldnt engage,when you push the clutch down it's feels as it should but I don't get why it was ok 4 months ago and is not working now.

What's the way forward,any suggestions?

basically the clutch wouldnt engage,when you push the clutch down it's feels as it should but I don't get why it was ok 4 months ago and is not working now.

Are you meaning that it won't disengage? I.e. the clutch driven plate is stuck sandwiched between flywheel and pressure plate?

Easiest way is to start it and drive it around in high gear with the clutch down, throttling up and down and stabbing the brakes. Safer is to jack both drive wheels off the ground and run in high gear and then modulate from Hi idle to idle with foot down on the clutch pedal. The inertia of the wheels over running should unglue it.

I loaned a Holder out to an erstwhile colleague and he managed to jam the clutch, I'm guessing part of the friction material has detached from its plate and wedged over an adjacent bit, making it impossible to disengage the clutch as the fork throw isn't long enough. I've been threatening to fix it for several months now ;-(.

AJH

I've got a small Iseki tractor that moves trailers around and such which I have not used for about 4 months,went to use it yesterday and couldn't get it in gear basically the clutch wouldnt engage,when you push the clutch down it's feels as it should but I don't get why it was ok 4 months ago and is not working now.

Could it be the plates have seized together with the damp weather. Some of our vehicles have done this in the past. there are a few probably quite scary ways we sort this involving starting it in gear, pushing in the clutch pedal and standing on the brakes to break the bond. Ready on the choke/off key if it doesn't work. Plenty of space ahead needed. As mentioned just make sure you can kill the engine ASAP if you need to.

It sounds that it wont disengage as Catweasel has suggested. This is most likely due to a damp atmosphere within the bell housing, causing the flywheel and or pressure plate to rust. The rust penetrates the ferodo clutch linings, effectively sticking them together. It does sometimes work as Catweasel suggests to drive it around and try to shock them free, but you may rip the linings from the disc.

Before doing this try the gentle approach, which is to let the engine run at speed for a long time ( in neutral of course) to get as warm as possible. As engine heat migrates into the flywheel it will expand at a greater rate than the disc. This causes the surfaces to gently slide across each other very slightly, breaking the rust bond and freeing up the clutch without causing damage. Once free, drive the tractor and slip the clutch a liittle to polish up the surfaces.

As everyone else has said,sounds like it stuck to the flywheel,start it in gear if you have room, might have to by-pass safety start switch. Be careful and be prepared to stop the engine if you have to. Use low gear to get it out shed if you have to. Take care though.

Thanks for all the replies...it makes a lot of sense to a layman mechanic like me!

It's down the field only covered with a tarp and it most definitely sounds like things have got a bit sticky inside with moisture and rust.

I had it running in neutral yesterday dropped the revs right down and tried to slip it gently into gear but it won't have it...to start it in-gear I would have to by-pass the safety start switch as it will only start with the clutch pedal engaged,I will give it all ago and thanks again for advice,if it doesn't work out I will post lunge pics from hospital!

Thanks L.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to sorting out the clutch on the Iseki,managed to jump lead & start it in gear and give it a good run which eventually released the clutch...it's now fine and this afternoon was happily pulling a large roller around the place and really tided up the ground.Thanks again for the input,saved me a few quid getting someone out to do the same thing.