ms200t or 201t? also change from 3/8p - .325 question

Dilz

i know and trust the 200t its a reliable work horse....how is the newer 201t holding up? I'm looking at getting some more climbing saws so wonder if i should stick with old faithful or go for the newer model.

Also wondering if i can switch over to .325 pitch chain and bar on my climbing saws without any issues, would i need to change the sprocket? helps keeps things more simple with files and guides etc.

The Stihl part is 1129 640 2004 which is 7T, 6T is standard so you may well need a new worm drive pinion gear - part 1129 640 2052 plus a new bar and chain.

TO me it doesn't make sense at all as all the MS200Ts I have had in have been running 3/8 1.3 12" - 14" bars with 6T sprockets - much easier to find spares!

its more a case to stop some types whom i foolishly let loose with em from using the wrong files, despite having been given clear instruction. Thats the sense bit, the issue with spares could as you say make it less sense to do so. Also having read about 7toothed sprockets i dislike the thought of loosing some of the low end grunt which can cause problems on the larger diameter pieces, correct me if im wrong.

Now ive tuned up my 201 im still sitting on the fence about it in general. picked up a 200 today, much more lively and responsive :thumbup:

I really wouldnt want to run a 201 on a 7t sprocket 14" bar, i dont think it would cope too well.

Next time you're stockholm way, you're welcome to try