Body of Knowledge

TreeSpyder

You can tell someone about something; and they think they know all you do. Someone; can read about something; and say they know all about it. Another, can watch something and feel immediately enlightened. One can operate hydralic levers for a day; and claim lifted this and that. Another, can swing a hammer; use it as a device extension of self too. Just as a young man can work here and there for a few weeks; and brag to one that has done the same job as they for 30 years...

Each can increasingly develop more feel for the work; understand more things through it; especially as they have to apply themselves more. But, i don't think any can develop the feel and knowing for the work, the forces and other related things as does a martial artist, gymnast or (tree) climber etc.

There is something extra special, extra deep of experience and tuning in available to those that touch and conduct forces through themselves as lifter, controller, load and to load. Those that can feel every tourque, balance, force and extension as they also direct it; feed back waht is going on and adjust to it. This is the Body Knowledge level of experience; richer, and in more contact/touch than all the rest.

This is what we see in the ancients and martial arts i think; somehow intuitively catch and respect. Well praticed arts and understandings of the world through the body experience and thereby knowledge of the world around them. Lessons of leveraged extension, force and balance etc. These lessons remind one that the first physicists were also the first philosophers; as both were one body of knowledge. Each subject to the same rules and forces on the same planet. Thus that the equal and opposite reaction is just the physics reperesentation of the yin/yang; as is +/- voltage; male and female etc. All exactly the same but different; and as such; understanding any deeply; can give rich insights to the rest.

This is another reason i think we are lucky to be climbers; the chosen few as it were. To tune in to this depth of experience; also intensified by our life on the line-literally. And to also deal with the rawest of forces, so much larger than ourselves. For we are truly the ants to these matchstix we command. This "Body of Knowledge" must be better than any book, movie, story; or knowing such things thru push levers and hammers. Just another thing right their for us; within our grasp; in ways not extended to others.

Perhaps some lifting the large loads with hydralics; can in time come close to such realizations; if they really tune in; and become seasoned after working them for years. But i doubt it without really doing the grunt work first for awhile; understanding the balances and forces; and respecting what the machines are doing for them. You just don't get the same payoffs with out those investmeants. Just as you don't get the same feel for all things; without touching everything at once; and being the load, machine and brain that all the forces travel thru, you feel and adjust to.

The life of tree work and climbing; is more than just food on the table; and has more to give than that. i hope a buch of ye brethren already know this, no matter how scantly; and i am jsut reenforcing it; bringing it into the light.

Now that I understand and agree with. There are also those who are in the industry by accident and it's all they know - yet they don't know anything about or understand trees in detail - just how to cut them and when to go home. Then there are others who respect and care for the trees. Tree surgery is not always about what you remove from a tree, but also about what you leave.

That's what I think anyway.

totally true and very phylisophical couldnt have put it better

Thanks guys!

i have to admit; i was waiting to get somewhat slammed. Cuz as i told Steve; i've let peaces of this out here and there on other forums; to get blank stares at best...

i teld da'wife and keeds about here too; saying that ya know my Body of Knowledge stuff i've talked about with you; these guys at this knew forum actually listened!! Maybe i'm not crazy after all(well, yea i know; i shouldn't get that carried away and say that...)

Reg and i been pm'ing at the Buzz; i sent him more of these thoughts and where sum came from etc. But i lost my copy and am waiting for him to send it back (always feels cheaper and faked trying to remeber and write outside the initial moment of inspiration), or post it (hint, hint).

:ciao: