tree officer

andrew t

I normally have a lot of respect for tree officers but i went to price a job the other day where the client had listed what he would like to have done. All light pruning really and the tree officer then had put his recommendations to what he wanted done some of it was ok but when i came to look at the last two trees he wanted to remove a very large lateral branch of of one that would make the crown uneven and it was a beech which will struggle anyway .Also he wanted to take one side off a hornbeam leaving a cut about 3 foot wide when it had all ready been reduced hard because of the cavity at the base.....and rant over:thumbdown:

Have you tried getting past the nitemare that is the usual for most LAs switchboerd system and spoken to the TO that you mention? If they are reasonable, they will take the time to explain their decisions and to take you concerns on board. And maybe even ammend their work spec'.

Hi janey you was at the fungi event last year . I think the tree officer seemed out of date i know you are la and have up to date training but i think in this case the guy did not have a clue different area to where we normally work if we get the job for the other work to be done then i will meet him and go through it but even the client was upset by it .Ps i normally have the upmost respect for the la as im a tree hugger at heart .

Because TPOs and S211 notifications come under the Town and Country Planning Act regs, you sometimes find that they are administered by the Planning section of the LA and not the Tree section.

Most LAs will have at least one Planner who is trained and qualified in arb'. You may have been unlucky and had a work spec' written by a Planner with little tree experience.

Or there may by justifyable reasons for their decisions.

Or they may just have been having a blonde day :lol:

Without some sort of correspondence with them you may never know

I've found a few TO are just planning officers with little knowledge of trees, I've been see yews which were actaully quite big Coastal Redwoods, and oaks which were chestnuts all expertly ID'd by 'a' TO.

I've also met very dedicated, highly skilled and helpful ones, and if your reading, your all amazing.

x

You could not justify there decisions if you was there you would have been shocked i reckon they must of been from planing .They will have to fire them and get you instead.

Hear hear :thumbup:

I'm not sure if I could go back to LA work now. I've been free range for too long now to be able to settle back into the rigid, and often seemingly pointless, beaurocracy that is Local Government.