Reduction on the mind

S Fry

I reduced a Copper Beech today, the spec was for a 25% reduction. The tree was located in very awkward position, at the top of a bank at the bottom of the garden, completely overhanging a large green-house and with only a very small drop zone to the side.

The tree had been reduced by around 30%, 5 years ago by someone else at my firm. This being the case, we took our time and did the job carefully, and with the guidance of my groundsman reduced the tree as close to spec as possible, or so I thought at the time.

The old boy whose tree is was, insisted on helping us out all day, carrying brash out and the like. I was very conscious throughout the day to check that he was happy with the job as it progressed and he seemed ok with it. I did however sense a reserved dissapointment from him that we were not taking as much off as he had in mind.

We finished the job, and he was happy to pay, but I still was'nt sure if he was feeling dissaponted by the result. Bearing in mind it had been reduced before, I was being carefull not to go too hard. I am regarded by my peers as being failry simpathetic for trees and I always belive that less is often more (if that makes sense?), and I tend to work to that motto where I can.

I have been looking at the before and after photo's since I got home, and its been playing on my conscience that maybe I should have taken more off. I dont think it ended up as a 25% reduction now and I am unsure if I should offer to go back and take more off in my own time. The customers were an elderly retired couple and I feel bad about not doing enough for the money they paid.

Do any of you guys ever feel in a moral dilema like this or am I just being daft? I'd welcome any of your thoughts and advice.

Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hard to tell, but I reckon i would class that as about 15-20% reduction. By that I mean around that amount of the total crown would be on the deck after the jobs done. Maybe you could have taken more but then again your new groundy should have spoken up sooner and asked for more.

I reduced a Copper Beech today, the spec was for a 25% reduction. The tree was located in very awkward position, at the top of a bank at the bottom of the garden, completely overhanging a large green-house and with only a very small drop zone to the side.

The tree had been reduced by around 30%, 5 years ago by someone else at my firm. This being the case, we took our time and did the job carefully, and with the guidance of my groundsman reduced the tree as close to spec as possible, or so I thought at the time.

The old boy whose tree is was, insisted on helping us out all day, carrying brash out and the like. I was very conscious throughout the day to check that he was happy with the job as it progressed and he seemed ok with it. I did however sense a reserved dissapointment from him that we were not taking as much off as he had in mind.

We finished the job, and he was happy to pay, but I still was'nt sure if he was feeling dissaponted by the result. Bearing in mind it had been reduced before, I was being carefull not to go too hard. I am regarded by my peers as being failry simpathetic for trees and I always belive that less is often more (if that makes sense?), and I tend to work to that motto where I can.

I have been looking at the before and after photo's since I got home, and its been playing on my conscience that maybe I should have taken more off. I dont think it ended up as a 25% reduction now and I am unsure if I should offer to go back and take more off in my own time. The customers were an elderly retired couple and I feel bad about not doing enough for the money they paid.

Do any of you guys ever feel in a moral dilema like this or am I just being daft? I'd welcome any of your thoughts and advice.

Thanks

All the time.

But it's because I have taken too much off because the customer demanded it and no amount of persuasion would make them change their mind (and I'm too fat to get out to the tips!)

Nice to redress the balance!

Beeches are pretty sensitive anyway, so less is definately more. :thumbup1:

It's always hard to tell from pics mate from the pics I would go with rich looks 15-20 but it is hard to tell. Just remember at least your tree looks natural and it is a skill being able to get out to the tips doing sympathetic pruning:thumbup: and the answer to your question I do in both ways have I took too much off? Or not enough? Because every customer is different:001_smile: