I need some help here guys and girls, youll like the returns!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

recently on gardeners world, a few weeks back A lady scientist came on with a state of the art microscope, it was a program about soils mainly, at least the main theme.

this scope looked to be some kind of modern twist on a scanning electron job, with great capacity and I want one, and am going to in ayears time mortgage to get it!

trouble is thus

i cant find one on the internet anywhere, dont know what typ of scope or its name, has anyone got any ideas for tracking this bad boy (hama must have at any cost) down?

If you help me find this out the posts will go into some kind of hyperdrive!:001_cool:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philips XL30 FEG

This SEM (acquired 1996) has a field emission electron gun (FEG) for high resolution, with an Oxford Instruments CT1500 HF cryo-stage for cryo-fixed samples and freeze-fracture work. This instrument is equipped with a 120 roll film camera for analogue image capture, but can also capture digital images of up to a maximum of 3k by 4k pixels. The system is computer controlled and fully networked to permit easy transfer of images.

Zeiss Supra 55 VP FEG

A second high-resolution SEM was installed in 2004. It is a Zeiss Supra 55 VP FEG SEM with a Gatan Alto 2500 cryo system for cryo-fixed samples and freeze-fracture work. It also has a Deben CoolStage which is basically a Peltier stage and can be used to hold samples at specific temperatures in the range +50°C to -25°C. The microscope also has variable pressure (VP) mode which allows imaging at low vacuum (in the range 2-133Pa). This, in combination with the CoolStage, helps reduce charging artefacts and permits some samples to be imaged without sputter-coating and at ambient, or close to 0°C, temperatures which would otherwise have had to be cryo-fixed if imaged at high vacuum, such as insects and even some leaves.

When working in VP mode, the microscope uses a special detector (VPSE) for imaging. In addition to the normal secondary electron (SE) detector, there is also an in-lens detector and therefore this microscope offers higher resolution than our other SEM. It has no camera so all images must be captured digitally. The system is fully computer-controlled and has a CD-writer for users to write their images to a CD before leaving the microscope room.

No rob, this thing is a really modern job. smaller than the environmental scanning electron you posted.

this one you put your specimen in and an image comes through on a digital screen two wheels are used to zoom into the magnifications reqiured and this was showing stomatas and epidermal tissues!

its a state of the art job, and Im guessing 20,000- 30,000 K!:scared:

It will be a long long term investment but when I have it i can really push my knowledge to the outer limits and beyond! nothing will be beyond my reach!:001_smile:

It will never return its money in profits, but by golly i will have some serious fun!