survey/report requirements

sloth

Hi, expect this has been asked before, but what (aside from insurance) do you need to do reports? Ie 5837 specifies a competent arboriculturist, what is that in law? Or, tree condition/safety surveys, is there a minimum requirement in the eyes of the law? Must you have a certificate of sorts, or does experience count towards competency also?

Suspect there may be grey areas surrounding the subject, but any ideas and views would be appreciated ;)

A level 2 ticket (the PTI), a good grasp of BS5837 pro indemnity insurance and your good to go, so they say.

However, this is FAR from sufficient IMO

Im am hearing so many people within this industry complaining about the standards of surveys and reports they recieve or are asked to work under. Some of the issues being raised are serious, some are just pathetic, like trees misidentified at GENUS level not just types! I have personaly seen one high profile "consultant" make several cock ups on a survey/report we recommended for, and it has caused us some proffesional embaresment on several occasions since the report was completed. I even offered oportunities to "rectify" issues before they was published propper, but...., two more trees with obvious faults now lay in a public car park!

I guess what Im trying to say is, you can be legaly and proffesionaly recognised in order to do the work, and if your lucky youll not make any major mistakes and get "caught out" but if your asking what is legaly required, well not much in reality my man.

But if you want to be a true pro, if you want to be highly respected and valued at this tree assesment game then youll need many years looking at failures, fungal interactions and structural faults before your truly able to decifer the code of body languages and that of decay.

Its a fustrating area to enter, and a most chalenging one, there are people out there assesing trees for 3 pounds each, youll need to be both thorough AND competative to do well.

Another question youll need to ask yourself is are you confident enough to defend yourself? can you stand tall and argue your case with senior consultants?

Are you familiar with the VTA, QTRA, SIA, etc methods, familiar enough to know all the pros and cons of the methods thier weaknesses and strengths?

Theres many "areas" of survey/assesment some carry a lot more responsibility than others, what area will you focus on, or do you want to do them all?

How long have you been working with trees?

^ Great response! But QTRA, really, This method has already failed at court level in Australia. Can't recall the specific case but I know I wouldn't want to have to pay to use a system which has been proven not significant!

Can not believe I can be arsed to reply to this post but really....what alot of bollox mate !

:001_smile:

Can not believe I can be arsed to reply to this post but really....what alot of bollox mate !

:001_smile:

Ok what I said was a very poor way of putting it. But using the QTRA system does not give a report any higher authority. So why bother getting qualified, licensed and subscribing to use it? When you can implement your own system for free!!:thumbup1:

^ Great response! But QTRA, really, This method has already failed at court level in Australia. Can't recall the specific case but I know I wouldn't want to have to pay to use a system which has been proven not significant!

an adequate response has already been posted to this comment:sneaky2:

Ok what I said was a very poor way of putting it. But using the QTRA system does not give a report any higher authority. So why bother getting qualified, licensed and subscribing to use it? When you can implement your own system for free!!:thumbup1:

Until you understand all methods and systems avaliable you will not have the ability to evaluate when and where each is appropriate, and when NOT to apply a methods pricipals.

Until you have sufficient knowledge of a thing one might suggest one has little right to an opinion. I might suggest also, that if your defense of your system in court against another witness using QTRA was based purely on the basis of one court case you might find yourself a laughing stock with little amunition to defend YOUR system.

I dont suggest you subscribe to it, but that you merely have knowledge of it and fully so, or youll not have a FULL and comprhensive grasp of "tree assesment" at a pro level.

Cool. I did the training last week. It was quite an eye-opener!

Sorry to derail your thread Sloth. I would suggest just to take on whatever you are comfortable with and avoid/sub out any reports that you aren't confident about.

I think a level 3 qualification is generally seen as a minimum.