Clinometers - Should I be buying digital?

wildwood-dwt

The haglof digital climometer is really good and easy to use. However it is an awful lot of money for what it is.

In my opinion, how often is measuring the trees height crucially important for a report? Rarely I would say. I tend to measure the first couple on site and estimate the rest once my eye is in.

I have one of the suunto ones. It's nice and simple and costs about half the price of a digital one which I am pleased about as it doesn't get used all that much.

My two pennies worth anyway.

I would buy a cheaper clino but also buy a laser distance measurer as well. They are useful for measuring crown spreads and distances from trees to known points on a plan which helps plot trees accurately if you haven't been given a proper topo.

Thats useful, what laser measure do you use paul?

I used to use a Leica disto, I think it might have been a D2: Leica DISTO D2 Laser measure | UK Supplier for Leica Laser Measures

At work we have a laserace hypsometer. I have never got on with it for measuring tree height but still use it sometimes for measuring distances. It's a bit bulky compared to the Leica though.