Wood burning stoves

aleach1728

Im looking for some advice on woodburning stoves, iv been searching the Internet for a while now and got familiar with all the popular/good brands of stoves, I'm after a stove that can heat all my house if possible with the doors left open on all the rooms because iv got a decent stock of logwood that's been drying out for a year now so I can have it burning all the time, my house is an end of terrace with just a kitchen and living room downstairs so the house is not that big, I'm looking for advice on best brands, best prices, which Kw is suitable, and best place to find a good stove, I'm interested on what stoves people have on here iv been into quite a few homes and seen some really impressives stoves so if anyone has any pics to put on here it would be good to take a look! thanks for any help

I have two wood burning stoves in my house so that the downstairs is covered. Heat from burners doesn't travel well unless you have lots of people traffic to push the air about so heating upstairs doesn't work, well not in my house and the others I have had anyway.

I know the French rig up hot air systems so that heated air gets pushed to the upstairs, might be worth looking into how they do this.

We are looking at a similar thing here. We are fitting the stove in the lounge but want to pust the heat into a 400sqft conservatory. I think we're going to put a 8kw stove in with a stove top fan, then use one of those silient dyson fans to push the air where its needed.

I have a 5kw stove with a stove top fan but have to say you can't feel any air movement- I think they are just show. We load up the stove fully and when it gets too hot which is most nights then start up the summer fan to get air moving around and out through the door.

The room above the fire gets warm as the chimney warms it up. You can feel the jet stream of warm rising air as you go up the stairs but it doesnt really penetrate into the other upstairs rooms other than the top one

One name "CLEARVIEW" !!

We bought an old cottage on a cold and drafty hill some years ago all my neighbours recomended the clearview my wife didn't like the way they looked and I didn't like the price so we bought a Villager log burner instead . It was huge burned loads of fuel and I was forever cleaning the door glass.

Five years on we gave in sold the Villager and bought a 5KW Clearview as we should have done from the start!!! Yes it costs a lot but they seem to run on hardly anything I am hoping my log pile will see me through the winter (Thanks Steve for splitting it) and kicks out so much heat we have at times had to open the windows!

The heat warms the house brilliantly our downstairs is open doors between the Lounge Dinning room and Kitchen and just before bed time we open the hall door to allow all the heat to rise to the bedrooms its great. Oh and I have only cleaned the door glass once since purchase my fault as I hadn't read the instructions and smoked the glass since then no probs.

NOTE: They do recommend connecting the stove to flue pipe as opposed to an open chimney I thinks its about the draw required. So this could add an additional cost to the project.

Highly recommend one to anyone. They have a lovely showroom in Ludlow (lovely town) they also have some really nice new oak furniture to look at whilst your there.

P.S. I promise I am not on commision!

Edited by ArbjobsNick
amendments

One name "CLEARVIEW" !!

Highly recommend one to anyone. They have a lovely showroom in Ludlow (lovely town) they also have some really nice new oak furniture to look at whilst your there.

P.S. I promise I am not on commision!

But dont buy direct find a local dealer and haggle the showroom will only supply at full retail. I bought mine from ROBIES at Belper Derbyshire. You will also save money buy collecting but you will need a big pick up or a trailer as they are extreamy heavy.

But dont buy direct find a local dealer and haggle the showroom will only supply at full retail. I bought mine from ROBIES at Belper Derbyshire. You will also save money buy collecting but you will need a big pick up or a trailer as they are extreamy heavy.

Which stove did you end up buying at robies and do you mind me askin the price and what you managed to haggle it for? I'm after buying 2 stoves so might get a good deal anyway....

youd do well to just plumb a few radiators off a back boiler stove upstairs to make sure your upstairs rooms are warm, otherwise if not, ive heard good reports on the Morso range , a friend told me to check that the stoves are good heavy cast iron as alot ive heard are only mild steel - also heard from a friend so dont know how true this statement is - i would just add, that make sure your chimney has a good draw, we recenlty went to a house where they were having problems with the stove, blaiming stove, wood - anything, and my husband pointed out that the yew tree was blocking the chimney stack and not allowing a good draw from this, he went and cleared it for them and they havnent had any more problems - also i know of a stove installer who fitted a very shallow flue to an ouside wall and this didnt create any draft either. - hope you get sorted

j.