L200 v Ranger v ?

Bomag

Im after a doublecab, which will be for me to run around in, carry the dogs, carry the dogs and luggage, etc. Estates arent big enough once youve got 3 dogs in the boot, my ten year old in the back, plus the missus and associated luggage, etc!!! It wont be used for towing, so no worries on the tow capacity, its space we are after.

We are looking at either a L200 or Ford Ranger (unless there's another thats better), it will be no more than 4 years old.

Are there any problems with these vehicles?

Whats the ride like?

Whats the fuel consumption?

Servicing costs?

Insurance?

Any other tips would be great.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be looking at a decent estate TBH. Why sacrifice comfort and ease, quietness and speed for a 4x4???

Which estates have you looked at? There are some very very roomy ones, esp for a family of 3 and dogs.

Other than that, which you probably didnt want to hear lol, I cant be much help, although i reckon you would have less room in a double cab than an estate (other than the dogs who would be rattling around in the cavernous area they now occupy)

I would be looking at a decent estate TBH. Why sacrifice comfort and ease, quietness and speed for a 4x4???

Which estates have you looked at? There are some very very roomy ones, esp for a family of 3 and dogs.

Other than that, which you probably didnt want to hear lol, I cant be much help, although i reckon you would have less room in a double cab than an estate (other than the dogs who would be rattling around in the cavernous area they now occupy)

as sais above..... i think you'd be upgrading the dogs area and going the other way for yourself and passengers etc....

Ive just bought a ford ranger double cab (2003 model), because I need a 4x4. I would say there is less useable room than our volkswagen estate car. I have been looking for one for some time and was told by several people to steer clear of nissans as the engines can blow up at any time. rangers are also better value for money as they look a bit boring. Hi lux are just too expensive, thanks to Jeremy Clarkson!

Weve thought about an estate, but in our minds they have a few teething problems.

1) either the rear seat is shared between 10 year old who gets travel sick and luggage, or the boot is split between luggage and dogs.

2) estates get stuck on the Shoot (I should've said I also need it to get about on Shoot :001_rolleyes: )

The doublecabs that the guys on the Shoot have enough room in the back to allow them to be split between dogs, in large dog crate) and luggage.

The double cab would probably suit you well if you shoot, because you can keep the guns safely locked up and the dogs in the back. My insurance is £350/year but thats for 3 named drivers on a business policy one who is 23 with points on his license. Its too soon to know mpg as ive only just got it. Servicing is ok as parts for fords are common stock. The ride is great, drives like a car, but you get great views! Doesnt feel massive when you are driving it. Hope this helps. (Ford ranger double cab)

If you do go for a ranger dont go near the King cab stick to the double cab, I have my ranger king cab about a month and its fine but space in the back seats is very limited, Mpg is a good bit more than an estate etc but thats the price you pay for a 4x4 v Estate. Good luck

Im after a doublecab, which will be for me to run around in, carry the dogs, carry the dogs and luggage, etc. Estates arent big enough once youve got 3 dogs in the boot, my ten year old in the back, plus the missus and associated luggage, etc!!! It wont be used for towing, so no worries on the tow capacity, its space we are after.

We are looking at either a L200 or Ford Ranger (unless there's another thats better), it will be no more than 4 years old.

Are there any problems with these vehicles?

Whats the ride like?

Whats the fuel consumption?

Servicing costs?

Insurance?

Any other tips would be great.

I have a newshape l200 and love it used to have a old shape for 4 years that was a great truck too

make sure you keep the oil changed regular at 4500 miles and you'll be fine i buy oil and filter kit from milner off road and do it myself for something like £40 and an hour of time.

they ride well make sure on an older truck the tyre wear is ok they can wear outer tyre edges if so they may need wheel alignment and bushes changing.

fuel consumption 27mpg and towing can be down to 23 mpg depends what your towing and how you drive. if you drive like you stole it it'll be more like 24/25mpg and 21/22mpg

Insurance i use nfu there good im only 24 so its not cheap for my newshape truck but no insurance would be for anyone with full no claims there decent to insure as there insured as a commercial vehicle

any more info just let me know id be happy to help cheers nic