Blackthorn nasty nasty

Littletree

I have delt with blackthorn on a very large scale and normally the the blackthorns just hurt a little when they go in but never give me any problems and you think nothing of it as its just part of the job and get on with it .

Well this time its different a couple of days ago I got one go into my thumb my thumb has swollowen up to double the size and the pain is nuts its going up my hand

I have had a really good look and I cannot see any more in there but this is just stupid my work today is going to interesting.

Anyone else had this happen to them and what did you do about it .??

Thanks Littletree

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just taken out a blackthorn hedge on my land. Certain times of year seem to be worse than others for any wounds from them to swell and become infected.

I didn't mess about this time, one cut at the bottom and wrench the whole thing out with the tractor and stack with the tractor, then burn it instead of chip. :001_smile:

1. I had a brother inlaw work with me once and he got stuck with a black thorn, although we and he could see no thorn remaining ( quite often a little triangular bit breaks off the end and stays behind ) a similar swelling and great pain was experienced, his finger looked like a big cooked cheap sausage! Orrible. He was prescribed antibiotics by his GP but took a few days to subside. Good luck in getting it sorted . ps if any one can suggest gloves that do work, even when wet, for thorn, berberis pyracantha etc. please tel us .

Yep, got a chunk of Blackthorn stuck in my left index finger years ago. It came up in a big lump which the doctor said was a ganglion ( I thought that was something out of star trek) and it would be OK. The lump got bigger and more painful over the years and started to affect my finger after a while. In the end I had to have an operation to have it removed. It was like a big lump of gristle. At least they let me watch. If it doesn't go down after a week or so I'd go get it looked at as some of them can work their way in quite deep. And don't poke around with a needle too much as it'l make it worse.

Oh dear, this subject is very fresh with me!

I know this will not help you at all but heres my story. Two weeks ago got a spike in my finger and I knew at the time it was deep, too deep to get out with a needle- even with the wife digging around:001_huh:

After a week the pain and swelling had got bad enough to call the doc but they sent me to hospital:confused1:

After visiting 3 hospitals on day 1, and waiting around for 10 hours, having an ultra sound found a 3-4mm spike was sent to plastic surgery, they told me it couldnt be done that day and to return the next:thumbdown:

They were going to have to "operate" as it was near nerves, but i would be at the bottom of the list as it wasnt urgent!

On day 2 waited a further several hours I walked out eventually, went home and sharpened my own knife and went for it.

I managed to get a 8mm spike out with a little pain but much relief:thumbup:

Hope you dont end up with the same performance.

Thanks guys well at least I am not the only one I will pop along to the doc and see if I can get some antis as work has to continue and its got to go .

normaly for all my balackthorn work I use long welders gloves they work a treat but this time I was not in a patch of blackthorn threre was just a little bit near a tree I was taking down and I had the regular rubber sticky garden gloves and it got me .

lucky today is a small job so should have time when I have finished to pop in to my local surgery and see if they will dish some up .

Thanks happy days

Littletree:001_smile: