how to get started

animatedpomegranate

Has anyone got any suggestions on the best start I can make in tree climbing. I'm not a tree surgeon or arborist but do clear fallen trees that ultimately go to my sawmill. Anything on the bigger scale or off the ground I call in the pros.

However I'm increasingly being offered work that is beyond my current skill level and due to my contractors being fully booked I'm missing opportunities. I'm now starting to look at how to go about the early stages of climbing training to see how well suited to the work I might be with a view to undergoing further, more significant training. All this has to be fitted around current work loads, family and all that other stuff life throws at you.

I'm based in Swansea and local training options do not seem to fit my needs. Hope some of you guys can give me some pointers other than pointing at the ground and saying 'stay there'

The advice i would give would be see if you can get one of these contractors to give you some trial work, see how you feel about climbing, in exchange for free labour.

If you like it, you may be able to stay with them and they will train you on the job and you will get more into it.

If you cant do that, start with cs30/21 and then go to cs38/39. thats the simplest way to be able to do it, but without some training and climbing time with other companies you will struggle to get off the ground.

if i was you mate i would find some1 that climbs, and go and do some fun climbing with them at a weekend to see if you like it, one of my mates was like yer yer i want to climb i got him above 8ft and he craped his pants lol

there is no team out there that would take you on for a free day and let you climb as you have no climing tickets, i no i would not anyway, and most of them just want to get the job done and move on to the next, good luck chap :thumbup1:

have a look @ proclimber carmarthen, pencoed college or college sir gar all of which will be able to offer you the climbing courses you need failing tha i can pass on a local ish assesors number and he will be able to help. think cs38 & 39 is around the £700 mark with all of them think the colleges may be cheaper but there might be a bit of a wait.

Anything i can help with just send me a pm :thumbup:

I did my training at treevolution, up near snowdon so not too far from you. They are second to none, and my very helpful aunt Jane will be more than happy to run through options with you, and discuss any grants etc available. If you are not sure whether you are ok with heights and ropes and can't find a friendly tree climber to take you up, maybe look for local indoor/outdoor rock climbing clubs, give you a feel for things. Good luck.