Long reach hedge cutters, what to buy?

njc110381

Hi Guys. My long reach hedge cutter is really starting to bug me recently. It's a Shindaiwa model and has always been very good reliability wise but the standard of cut is terrible. It's not a maintenance issue as I tend to look after my kit, but rather a quality thing.

I'm on my third set of blades now because they start to bow between the securing bolts on the cutter bar. This means there's a little gap between the blades and as you can imagine when cutting conifers it's a real problem. The machine cuts Beech and the likes very well but conifer - no chance. I know I work my kit hard, perhaps a little too hard so I am partly to blame but my bosses old Stihl would deal with much bigger stuff than this thing will without too much bother.

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas for a replacement? The Stihls look good but I've heard that the HL75 gearboxes weren't the best? Are the newer models any better? Failing that what else is available and what do you use? This Shindaiwa is great until you come across the odd thick bit (Elder stem sticking out perhaps) and then it self destructs! I'm not buying another set of blades!

I have to confess that if I was still on the tools - I'd certainly look at the Pellenc kit sold through Etesia.

I was mighty impressed with that stuff and Ian Collington at Etesia in the middle lands converted me!

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas for a replacement? The Stihls look good but I've heard that the HL75 gearboxes weren't the best? Are the newer models any better? Failing that what else is available and what do you use? This Shindaiwa is great until you come across the odd thick bit (Elder stem sticking out perhaps) and then it self destructs! I'm not buying another set of blades!

Interesting thread since I'm in the long-handled hedgecutter transitional phase at this very moment too.

I've recently ditched all my Stihl kit (except saws!) and gone with Echo. Andy Collins recently had a thread on here re his search for the perfect machine and wound up with an echo for reasons disccussed in the thread

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/20261-best-hedgetrimmer.html

My reasons are as follows:

1) Quality - yes, non-saw Echo stuff is unbelievably beautifully built.

2) Warranty - 2 years commercial, 5 year domestic.

3) Vibration - incredibly low, the lowest I've found anywhere.

4) Kioritz engine - the finest jap 2-strokes money can buy.

5) Balance - dunno how they do it, but they are SO nice to use with perfect ergonomics.

Downsides might be price (no more competitive than the others) and parts since the importer (Countax) has recently been bought by Ariens which is a good thing but since Kioritz and Shindaiwa merged to form Yamabiko Corp and now Ariens run the USA and European side of things there isn't quite the seamless transition hoped for.

I was saying I'd ditched my Stihl brushcutters and hedgecutters; I am a pathological researcher and typically spend months pondering, cataloguing and testing equipment. I had the Stihl long-reach hedge cutter; it was ok, usual Stihl features. But the quality of cut left a little to be desired and it was noisy and shakey compared with the new Echos. On changing I considered many others, Robin (Makita), Husq, Lawnflite, Kawasaki etc etc and have zero regrets about going Echo.

I'm starting to waffle. I know what you mean about thicker bits stalling the machine and I can't guarantee sure the Echo will out-gun the Stihl in this respect but as you rightly say, Stihl (and Tanaka) gearboxes are weaknesses whereas Echos' last and last and last.

I've just ordered 2 of these and you should seriously consider them too.

Echo Tools

:001_smile:

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

The Pellenc is battery powered right? I'm not sure I'm ready to trust an electric tool just yet!

I know of a few old Stihls still running well. It is tempting but there are lots of options so I'm just fishing for other ideas.:thumbup1:

When I first saw the Pellenc stuff I was dismissive, but after talking to Ian Collington at a couple of dealer open days and thinking about it, I would not throw it out without careful consideration. It might be dear to buy initially, but, think of a future with no mixing of fuels, no noise, fewer blade replacements, no busted gearboxes, no exhaust gases, less weight on the arms and if used regularly they cost pence per day to run. As a hedge cutter (including long reach) I would certainly give it a go, I would not really bother with the other attachments tho.