The new Stein Quest GTX Boots (un)Official Review.

Frank

Having been a die-hard Haix fan for such a long time now, I felt it would be almost sacreligous to even contemplate looking elsewhere for Chainsaw protective footwear. However, after being tempted to stray by Pfanners and Meindls latest offerings (only put off by the red colour), I felt it may be worth looking into what was available. I also have to admit that I have grinned and beared the lack of heel on my Trekkers.

APF 2010 was just around the corner and the decision was made to add Boots to the list.

I was immediatley drawn to the GTX because of the similarities in design to both the Pfanner and the meindls, the rugged rubber surround, the ball bearing lace loops, the Vibram soles. The waterproof lining. These boots had everything I wanted and werent a silly colour. I purchased without question.

I have only worn them for 8 hours due to having to have my size ordered direct from manufacturer, so will add my full review week by week. For now I will give you a brief rundown of the initial impressions. Please feel free to add to these with your own experiences.

Out of the box.

Style / desirability : I find these boots very well designed and have show obvious signs of alot of thought gone into them. Not your average Hiking boots style. So I award them 5/5

Features : Vibram soles immediately tell me these are a quality product. bearings in the bottom set of lace loops allow you to really get these boots tight without putting stress on the laces. Gore-tex style lining a must have. Large area covered by heavy duty rubber surround, great for absorbing the general knocks and scuffs from day to work without scuffing leather.Large heel size to accommodate spikes. I award 5/5

Initial comfort : Oh my god. This is where these boots are going to make or break. Upon looking inside the boot my initial reaction was "where are the washable inner soles that I love so much from Haix. The Steins dont appear to have any at all. I put my foot inside tentatively at first half hoping for immediate slipper like comfort only to be amazed at the wooden clog like feel. These boots look tough and sturdy, they feel even more tough and sturdy on your feet. So much so, that I was tempted to take them off after a couple of hours of dragging brash as my calves and shins were actually aching.

Almost every step felt heavy and cumbersome, i kept telling myself that they will "break in". They didnt in the 8 hours I wore them today. I took them off and was surprised to find no blisters. My trainers felt like heaven and I could walk normally again without arching up onto my tip toes. The soles really are that stiff it feels as if your are walking on boards.

I award 1/5 (the point being for the ability to really get them nice and tight)

I am 99.9% sure that these boots will break in and become more comfortable but I have made the choice to put in an inner sole out of some Merrel Climbing trainers.

I cant really say much more than that as I have only worn them for a day, I will add to this review after a week, then a fortnight and let you know how I progress.

Hope someone may find this helpful.

Thanks. Darren.

IMG_1300.jpg.fe6c2ff8e33476ecb0edef584da79cbb.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg.df25f3eb0debf51f27a25b2bed2366ff.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg.e2da5abc27f9f9dd00d50bd2922b6e65.jpg

Edited by Frank

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they look sweet, hope they do well for yaa.

My last pair of boots were steins, the Stein Bergsteiger's, and they werent very comfy to begin with but they were alright after a while.

but...

I was not impressed with them at all, they lasted about a year, and that wasnt everyday use at all, i got them at the apf 2 years ago, wore them at college a little bit and at the weekends so it would have equaled about 3 full days a week. In about a years time both soles were hanging off and tbh i made them last as long as i could, but as soon as my feed could poke out the sides, i went to some stihl boots and they seem much better. A guy at work has had the same problem with these bergsteiger boots, have the sole fall of his within about 5 weeks.

Was not impressed, i like my stihl boots though :)

I believe around the £170 mark, but i deliberately didnt mention price as I dont personally DONT think you can put a price on decent footwear. Especially not in our job.

As for the bergsteiners, they didnt have VIBRAM soles did they???