Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

General chat Discuss every day issues in the tree care industry. If you're unsure where to post your topic please choose this forum.

Thank you for all your donations. The total we have raised this year for The Childrens Trust so far is 1545!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-10   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Hey whats wrong with red boots hehe

I was choosing between the steins and meindls. I tried the steins on and couldn't get on with that hard insole. Left my foot aching after just trying them. I think there was about 30 difference in price but I can't remember exactly.

Rainfords Contracting Services Ltd | Rainfords Tree Care
Old 06-10-10   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012

Re: The new Stein Quest GTX Boots (un)Official Review.

iv got some kilmbs gtx with vibram sole,i dont find them good for climbing, soles to ridgid cant feel the any thing when branch walking .like waring cloggs
Old 07-10-10   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2010, 2012

My Tirol Fighter boots took around three months to break in, after that they were mega comfy and I feel I could leave them on after a days work and watch telly in them. Good boots that last ime.
Old 07-10-10   #14 (permalink)

These boots look really good and very much like my walking boots, but i settled for the stein explorer boots at the apf, only 130 from Jonsie. Would have liked to have got the GTX version but couldn't stretch that far. It is very true that you can't put a price on decent footwear and its the most important bit of kit IMO, but boot makers also know that and charge through the roof.

The explores are fantastic boots, very comfy and supportive. A little too high for me though but the waterproof liner actually breaths quite well, just as good as goretex. I don't usually like the liners as usually they dont last long and just make my feet too warm. Better off with a bit of polish. Not sure how the stein boots will be for climbing yet as they are pretty stiff. Lets see how long they last though.
Old 07-10-10   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2010, User formerly known as Phenom

Stein Quest GTX Chainsaw boot review

ts really important to have a good pair of boots for work. Most employees will only have one pair of boots at a time and they need to be suited to all their tasks. For the Climber the boot needs to be suitable for branch walking and also stiff enough for spikes.

My last pair of boots were the Klima airs. I loved them to bits and they lasted really well (3 years with 3 new soles). I did find them a little heavy and a bit slippery in the wet but still a fantastic boot.

At the APF my boss dug deep and bought me a pair of STEIN Quest GTX boots and I am loving them They are very similar to a pair of Boreal mountaineering boots I have but with chainsaw protection.

I cant comment on durability but the build quality seems great. They are just as stiff as the Klima airs new but mellow after a couple of days. They seem alot lighter and the ruber on the sole is more lively and grips better in the wet. The thing I really like about them is the fit. You can draw the boot so snug to the foot with the laces. They feel great on spikes and the rubber protection is a nice touch.

The only negative point I would bring up is when foot locking I catch one of the lace hooks repeatedly with the tread of the boot and you can hear this CLICK sound each time. This has slightly bent the lace hook but not to a point where its a problem. Im not going to hold it against the boot because I like them to much.

Here is a link to the boots for you to drool over

Fletcher Stewart

And some pictures of them in action
Attached Images

Old 07-10-10   #16 (permalink)
Senior member, Raffle sponsor 2009

Re: Stein Quest GTX Chainsaw boot review

This reminds menof a very similar thread put up yesterday. Only not quite as good. Haha.

If people destroy something replaceable made by mankind, they are called vandals; if they destroy something irreplaceable made by God, they are called developers.
Old 07-10-10   #17 (permalink)
Senior member, Raffle sponsor 2009

You can find out 2moro mate. Got a nice ivy covered ash for you haha.

If people destroy something replaceable made by mankind, they are called vandals; if they destroy something irreplaceable made by God, they are called developers.
Old 07-10-10   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2010, User formerly known as Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Spencer View Post
This reminds menof a very similar thread put up yesterday. Only not quite as good. Haha.

I didnt see your thread before I wrote this. I feel a bit daft.

Nice review by the way.
Old 08-10-10   #19 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013

I think the fact that both of you have independently reviewed your latest purchases, and given totally honest opinions, shows the impartiality of this forum. Tbh, when I saw Darrens thread, my heart sank, as the boots are supplied through one of the forums sponsors. But this is just the kind of feedback that we dont get with magazine reviews, and this is instant.
Have moved both threads together as one to give a balanced review.

Last edited by Andy Collins; 08-10-10 at 07:12 AM..
Old 08-10-10   #20 (permalink)

hi just flicking through and saw your posts haix pros are great boots on my 3rd pair once broken in very comfy only prob is all 3 pairs soles have come off starting to think its just me or job we do who knowsl like the look of steins keep us posted how they hold up etc cheers Guy