The cheapest quote ??

Dean Lofthouse

In the last week I have turned away two people who have phoned for a quote and expressed they are after the cheapest quote.

Not because I dont want to be wasting my time, but because it goes against my own ethics.

I dont know about everyone else but I never ever go with the cheapest quote

A. Are they using cheap materials to get the quote down

B. Do they have the right qualification or professionalism.

c. If the job doesn't go right, will they cut corners or rush to make it pay

One of the reasons I told them I wouldn't quote is that they wouldn't be there either to hear what they will be getting for their money :confused1:

If it's just a tree they want taking down for the cheapest price with no regard for how it's done, how clean the site will be left or how their flower beds will lokk after nor what happens to the waste then I'm not interested to be honest

If I get three builders in to quote I want to hear what they have to say, I want to see how they present themselves and hear how they will carry out the job with what materials.

I personally win a lot of jobs on how I carry out and explain the quote not on price.

How many of you just go out and price a job to win it ??

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the job doesn't it. I normally follow up most leads but do sometimes feel I'm wasting my time. If your busy then fair does filtering them.

Sometimes it goes the other way, I went to do a quote - It was a straightforward fell but then a drag up an alley way etc to get rid of the rubbish. I started explaining this and the fella said - I just want it down I'll sort out getting rid of it. So I said £30 quid and I'll do it now. He agreed, knocked it over £30quid instead of not getting a job and having wasted my time quoting. Some of the best jobs for repeat work/recommendation have been the ones where I wasn't convinced to start with.

R

I understand what your saying, why turn down the chance to quote? If your more professional therefore probably more efficient and better equipped you may be the cheapest anyway?

I just think its no different from sealed envelope bidding Simon, where you dont get a chance to explain yourself and you can usually tell they are not interested in anything else but price.

On the same token, I am not purely money orientated, I also like to get some job satisfaction as well as pay my overheads :001_smile:

A new guy has just started up in my area and is advertising to beat any genuine quote:001_rolleyes: So other firms are going to the trouble of pricing jobs up,a fair price for a fair days work and this guy i just knocking a bit off and getting the jobs without putting in the time and effort:thumbdown: Im tempted to put in £50 on a job worth ££££'s and then pass on his details :001_tt2:

personally i will give a quote to anyone who wants one , yes they are looking for the cheapest price they can get but i dont know who elts im quoting against , i quote a fair price for a fair days work if i dont get so what , there will always be another job to quote . If im looking ata job and the client is not there then i will make sure that everything i want to say is down on the paper quote , at least that way they get a choice weather they wanna read it or just look at the figures at the bottom . I have been pleasently suprised on some jobs where i have got the job and was not the cheapest and mostly its because of the information and further advice that i can provide

I think its best to quote for all jobs big or small. As refusing to go could give your company a bad name. Word is easily spread. I always write everything down in a quote, with terms and conditions. explaining the service they get. They should see through that. If they still want the cheapest they will go else where and they may get a very bad contractor/cowboy. some things are out of your hands.