Battery traffic lights

Tonythetree

Any had any experience with these new fangled battery traffic lights. We've used the old diesel genny type, all the ones we've hired in the past we're a bag of cock. I asked LUX for a quote for a months hire (battery type) came out at £135+vat a week. Just wanted to know amongst other things how often you have to charge the things up.

Tony

they are absolutely brill IMO

no more wires to damage

easier to set up

lighter

no bulbs to blow

no cranking that damn handle

Batteries last a while new set with fully charged batteries last a good week on days

worst set was about 3 days

easy to charge though you can only do 1 set at a time

units have volt metres and when they get to 11.75 we charge them as we found below 11.5 sempt to be reduced distance and problems

hope this helps

they are absolutely brill IMO

no more wires to damage

easier to set up

lighter

no bulbs to blow

no cranking that damn handle

Batteries last a while new set with fully charged batteries last a good week on days

worst set was about 3 days

easy to charge though you can only do 1 set at a time

units have volt metres and when they get to 11.75 we charge them as we found below 11.5 sempt to be reduced distance and problems

hope this helps

Hi What is the maximum distance you can have the heads apart?

Tony

They are good & they do have a good charge, when i used them i had them for 3 weeks & never had to charge them. The only thing i will say about them is that if you have them at a long distance (150m +) & your under a long canopy of trees it will mess with the single. This happened to me when i had them set up at around 150m also they were'nt quite in a straight line (s bend in the middle).

One other thing to bare in mind is if your using a MEWP the boom can at times mess with single as well, again this happened with me, every time i went up & extended the boom the signal would fail, as soon i brought it back down it would work. Very, very annoying!

• 7 months later...

Interesting discussion. Let me first declare my interest, in that I am the Sales Manager for SRL, manufacturers of Radiolight battery traffic lights.

You guys who have been having problems with distance and round bends have not been using our lights. We are still the only manufacturer to guarantee 500 metres (yes, that's 500) operating distance, regardless of what's in the way. Bends in the road, trees in between, buildings in the way, over bridges, under bridges, 500 metres.

We only manufacture, we don't hire, but you can ask for our lights by name at major hire centres. Look us up on http://www.srltrafficsystems.co.uk or give me (Mike) a bell on 07855 957276.

(That's enough advertising. Ed)