please help!!!new to the industry

ryanhondacr

hi there people ive been working as a mechanic from leaving school to today (eight years)and im fed up. ive been trying to find a job that i think id love (arboristry really interest me)and also the prospects of having my own business which in the motor trade isnt a good idea.im trying to find out about ways of becoming an arborist,wages,work potential,qualifications needed? anything that can help me out?

Hi Ryan - welcome to Arbtalk!

I would suggest looking up a few local companies in your area and asking if you could go in and do a few days work experience with them to get a flavour of what it's all about. If you like it, then it would be best to get some training to pass the necessary NPTC tickets for chainsaw use and tree climbing. Once you have them you shouldn't find it too hard to get some work. For a while you will probably be dragging branches and feeding a chipper but that's how we all start.

Alternatively you can go to college and do something like the National Certificate in Arboriculture which would give you some good background knowledge as well.

If you go to http://www.trees.org.uk there is a page on careers there that shows some of the different routes you could pursue.

Hope this helps? Post away any more questions - we are all here to help.

cheers.

I would keep the job you have for the time being............It will earn you the money you need to get your basic chainsaw tickets and protective kit.

Then phone all the tree surgeons in your area, and try and get some work as a groundsman. Then you'll see if thats really what you want to do.