Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

General chat Discuss every day issues in the tree care industry. If you're unsure where to post your topic please choose this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-04-08   #1 (permalink)

please help!!!new to the industry

hi there people ive been working as a mechanic from leaving school to today (eight years)and im fed up. ive been trying to find a job that i think id love (arboristry really interest me)and also the prospects of having my own business which in the motor trade isnt a good idea.im trying to find out about ways of becoming an arborist,wages,work potential,qualifications needed? anything that can help me out?
Old 24-04-08   #2 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Hi Ryan - welcome to Arbtalk!

I would suggest looking up a few local companies in your area and asking if you could go in and do a few days work experience with them to get a flavour of what it's all about. If you like it, then it would be best to get some training to pass the necessary NPTC tickets for chainsaw use and tree climbing. Once you have them you shouldn't find it too hard to get some work. For a while you will probably be dragging branches and feeding a chipper but that's how we all start.

Alternatively you can go to college and do something like the National Certificate in Arboriculture which would give you some good background knowledge as well.

If you go to www.trees.org.uk there is a page on careers there that shows some of the different routes you could pursue.

Hope this helps? Post away any more questions - we are all here to help.

cheers.
Old 24-04-08   #3 (permalink)
Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008

I would keep the job you have for the time being............It will earn you the money you need to get your basic chainsaw tickets and protective kit.

Then phone all the tree surgeons in your area, and try and get some work as a groundsman. Then you'll see if thats really what you want to do.