Old ropes

RobRainford

Hey guys

I've just started dabbling in splicing. In 48hrs I've mastered the 3 strand splice. I would like to try other ropes such as double braids and 16 strand.

I need some advice on what tools to use for 16 strand and also does anybody have some retired rope that isn't too damaged I could practice on? I'll pay for postage on any that is available. I'm not afte long lengths. A minimum of 1m but I'm not all fussy.

Any help at all would be apprecaited. I've properly caught the bug for it now!

Splicing old rope, especially 16 strand is one sure way of putting you off splicing, beg or buy some new rope, I can send you some Marlow double braid that Bob gave me, as for fids a wire fid is probably of most use, you can buy them from Nod at Treeworker or you can make your own, they are made from piano wire, here is a picture of two of my fids one a Brian Toss Wand the other a wire fid from Nod.

PM your address for the rope.

DSC00417.jpg.acc8d5a926c632755a83a595ebc27920.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so yeah came back from a week away

got some 11mm double braid from B&Q. they want almost £4 per metre which just seems stupid as there are no strength ratings or anything for it. considering we can buy working ropes from anywhere for half the price?

i think i will buy some of those splicing fids for the ropes. Ill send the PM over now!

Buy new rope, and make it decent rope. learning on old rope as said before is hard. if you insist on doing it i'd say crack out the KY as well to lube up that rope. cheap(crap) rope (even if its more expensive like you found out) is even worse that old rope, it just won't have been made as well.

Try proclimber, they do rope by the meter. for all braided ropes you'll be wanting to practice on a longer length, only using one meter you'd be wasting you time.

Jamie

I've bought some new ropes after considering it. Some 14mm double esterlon some 12 strand xtc and some xtc honey bee to give me a good range to practice on. Was hoping to be able to use the honey bee as a lanyard if it turned out right. Although its probably notthe best idea.

do one and get the technique down then abuse it on something, stick a winch on it and pull, or use it as a tow rope. then by all means use your second attempt as a life line

Jamie