Contracting in a climber.

bareroots

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothig I hate more than being a groundie and seeing the climber come down and wacth the clean up.

Dont take it the wrong way he works hard indeed and can understand when he stops for water etc but some take it to far IMO and sometimes just think there to good for the rakes and dragging

I've climbed for ten year now and take pride in getting down from a tree have a quick drink and get stuck in with the lads I find a lot of the time when u get used to climbing it becomes natural and when enjoying yourself u sometimes don't feel like your working hard and if your working fast the lads on the ground are working harder your climber should respect his groundsmen and get stuck in

I recently had a 'heated' discussion with someone who had just qualifed in climbing about who works the hardest in tree surgeery.

My first part of the arguement that it doesnt matter your there to earn monney for yourself/the boss etc

I then said secondly that being on the ground isnt easy when yourwith a fast experienced climber or when you have a massive drag or use a tiny chipper that cant deal with the stuff your chipping.

On this willow reduction job it was at a bottom of a garden and no acces for chipper so it was about a 70m or so drag to chipper up a slippery thin slop and the little jo beau wernt on fine form.

I personally think that although climing is difficult on the ground on that particular job was the hardest part, fair play to the climber when he finished he was geting stuck in.

But as I said at the top it doesnt matter who works hardest.

:001_smile:a ,climber that work in harmony with the groundys are best but must be good groundys always looking out for eachother and watching climber ,i used to find the climbers that used to get everything down realy quick not giving groundys time making a tangled mess on floor hard to clear up make the job slower,

as a climber, if im up the tree busting a gut for 4 hours whilst the groundies are dragging there heels dont expect me to jump in and carry them aswell. im more than happy to help out as long as people don't start taking the piss. i think turn up on time, bring all the kit required in working order and no hang over! same goes for anyone working though in my opinion.

Aye well said when your in a good team then everybody has their place and I think a good climber is no better than a good groundsmen you can't beat having a good lad on the ground if your a good climber you need a good man or men getting the stuff processed nowt worse than having to shout down tellin people what to do I've worked with lads who when I've switched off my saw to shout for a lowering rope then looked down and they're already tying it on good times but answer to the question is someone who gets the job done safely and doesn't think any part of the job is below him pardon the pun lol

Groundies work much harder than climbers, the climber shouldn't be busting a gut, he's only sitting in a harness cutting some wood, thats why everyone wants to progress to being a climber isn't it? It has a higher skill level (not all climbers are more skillful than all groundies) but ultimatly its easier.