Log Business - help please

chippan

Hi,

I am a retiree of 60 who needs to keep active. I would like to start my own log business as I am moving to a house with a little land out in the sticks. I would be very grateful if anyone can help me with a little information before I start. Which are the best value chainsaws, log splitters? What sizes do we deliver in and how can we measure the amount of logs produced. Who are our suppliers - wholesale? Do we use hard or soft wood logs? Who are our customers other than households? What else do I need to know please?:thumbup:

I will always be greatful for any advice given.

Kind regards

David Chapman

Hi,

I am a retiree of 60 who needs to keep active. I would like to start my own log business as I am moving to a house with a little land out in the sticks. I would be very grateful if anyone can help me with a little information before I start. Which are the best value chainsaws (Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar/Makita, Jonsered), log splitters? (I have a Riko and love it) What sizes do we deliver in (9" seems to be about standard log length) and how can we measure the amount of logs produced (fill a 1m3 builders bag with said logs and dispense that amount into whatever you are delivering them in i.e. pickup truck then you'll know how much a m3 assumes). Who are our suppliers - wholesale? Do we use hard or soft wood logs? (peeps prefer hardwoods since they are perceived as superior and in energy density terms this is true; I've been selling pure harwood loads but am now having to mix a little 10% softwood due to overall demand) Who are our customers other than households? What else do I need to know please?:thumbup:

I will always be greatful for any advice given.

Kind regards

David Chapman

Sell by volume not weight

Moisture content ideally around 20%

Lots more info at stovesonline.co.uk

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

I dont want to sound flippant but its taken us 10 years of hard work to get all the information that you want in five minutes :sneaky2:- i dont mind helping anyone, but it sounds like you want your business plan given to you on a plate - if your starting a business, its up to you to source what you should be doing, what you can afford to buy and what you can afford to sell it at surely. buy your wood off a merchant or forestry contractor, chop it up season it with a bit of salt and pepper to taste :lol:and away you go

buy all your logs and sticks off me wholesale and away you go, dont bother with smelly old chainsaws and log splitters, let me do all that hard work for you:lol: - all youve got to do then is sell the stuff:001_smile:

Edited by Joy Yeomans

I dont want to sound flippant but its taken us 10 years of hard work to get all the information that you want in five minutes etc etc

They were my feelings as well but my thoughts were a little harsher but I didnt want to get shot down in flames by the `Good on ya mate` brigade :001_smile:

Me to, their seems to be an awful lot of people brought up to speed very quickly thanks to the kindness of others, but if the said retiree set up on my doorstep I would like him to learn from the school of hard knocks, if i had half the help some seem to get nowadays, I'd be retired as well!

I thanked those who took the trouble to start me on my way. I feel sorry for those who want to abuse someone doing exactly what one of them told me to do - to search the internet. I want a start not a 'head start'. I am prepared to learn the hard way if thats what it takes but sometimes it is not necessary as someone can help you avoid these mistakes with a friendly word. If you have time to reply with negative comments then you need help of a different kind.

If someone wanted to know how to set an apiary up I would be only too pleased to guide them through this. If anyone wanted to learn to read and write I would spend a lot of time with them - without charge. Where are you coming from? Once again - thanks to those who are charitable enough to give me a little start.

Chippan