Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

General chat Discuss every day issues in the tree care industry. If you're unsure where to post your topic please choose this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-01-10   #1 (permalink)

looking to get into forestry work

Hi all, happy new year!!

I'm new to this forum so hope i'm in the right place. Just looking for some help about getting into forestry work.
I've just left the forces and have loans etc to pay so can't afford to go to college. Should i contact a local forestry contractor or is there no point beacause i havent got any chainsaw certs etc.?

Cheers
Old 15-01-10   #2 (permalink)

Re: looking to get into forestry work

Do you mean pure forestry to the exclusion of arb or all 'Tree Work'?

God Save the Queen.

www.redlineoil.com
Old 18-01-10   #3 (permalink)

Not excluding all tree work, id like to be using a saw but wouldn't mind getting my harvester and forwarder operator certificates. Cant afford to do any courses until i've found some work though.
Old 18-01-10   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB-MAN View Post
Not excluding all tree work, id like to be using a saw but wouldn't mind getting my harvester and forwarder operator certificates. Cant afford to do any courses until i've found some work though.
join the Forestry Contractors Association, they have a list of soft harvesting contractors throughtout the UK, or maybe someone on here has a list
Old 18-01-10   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasherscot View Post
join the Forestry Contractors Association, they have a list of soft harvesting contractors throughtout the UK, or maybe someone on here has a list
Cheers for the quick replies, yes ill join the FCA and see what i can find. Just looking for any tree work really - forestry/tree surgery. Just need to find some money some where to get the basic tickets. Does anyone know if you can get funding at all?
Old 18-01-10   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB-MAN View Post
Cheers for the quick replies, yes ill join the FCA and see what i can find. Just looking for any tree work really - forestry/tree surgery. Just need to find some money some where to get the basic tickets. Does anyone know if you can get funding at all?
How "ex-forces" are you? and how long did you do?, if you qualified for enhanced learning credits you could possibly pull in 2k and go to kingswood training who do the basic tickets and a level3 business module that is what qualifies for the ELC, Kingswood do alot of resettlement courses. Some of the service charities help with business/training advice and may put you onto more funding.

You know the best cure for sea-sickness? Go stand under a tree.....
Old 18-01-10   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight6m View Post
How "ex-forces" are you? and how long did you do?, if you qualified for enhanced learning credits you could possibly pull in 2k and go to kingswood training who do the basic tickets and a level3 business module that is what qualifies for the ELC, Kingswood do alot of resettlement courses. Some of the service charities help with business/training advice and may put you onto more funding.

I've been out nearly 3months and did 3 years. I wasn't entitled to ELC for various reasons so i'm just trying to find either a company that will take me on, or if there are any ways of getting funding for courses.
Old 18-01-10   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009

A quick chat with some of the charities may help still, nothng ventured nothing gained, with less than 5 years in I guess you got no or little resettlement help. Tried the CTP for any advice?

You know the best cure for sea-sickness? Go stand under a tree.....

Last edited by knight6m; 18-01-10 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: add to
Old 18-01-10   #9 (permalink)

Are you under 25? If you are go to the prince's trust. They can only give the maximum of 500, but i also went through Different training courses with my jobcentre. It takes a while, but now i've got my Lantra basic chainsaw maintenence and crosscutting and have my NPTC 30,31,38 and 39 booked and paid for! Although i have paid for some of it.
Old 18-01-10   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013

get a job with the forestry commision...they will put you through training but i know they prefere a bit of experience in basic forestry before they put you through every nptc unit or forwarder and harvester training! its not well paid but after you have done a few years and get up to speed you can get a job with a contractor making better money..personaly i would get bored out of my mind driving a harvester or forwarder for the rest of my working life!

Find a local contractor explain your situation... i was chatting to a guy who mainly does forestry on sat and he is convinced it will make a big come back soon due to many factors....most of the people i know who do this sort of work would be willing to show you the ropes so you know what your getting your self in to!