Is Ancient Redwood Tissue and Antique Glass, technically a Liquid ??

mdvaden

Just began a new blog this week on Wordpress for overflow tree and redwood stuff. Tonight's new post was:

Is Ancient Redwood Tissue and Antique Glass Technically a Liquid?

Ever seen the parts along redwood trunks that sort of drape? Not neccesarily burls. And have you ever seen antique glass that is thicker at the bottom?

Anyhow, it was a fun one to write, because our son and several friends had window cleaning businesses, and they mentioned some thing about the properties of glass that I was reading about tonight to see whats what.

Now you folks have a lot more antique glass over there in churches or other historic buildings. Bet half of you know about this stuff already.

Edited by mdvaden

And have you ever seen antique glass that is thicker at the bottom?

This is true and was until fairly recently thought to be caused by the glass "flowing" down.

BUT its now thought that the glass was thicker at one end when produced. The glass was blown and then the resulting cylinder was cut and unrolled, this method of manufacture results in one end being thicker than the other.

They put the thick part in the base of the frame as it will carry the weight of the glass above better.

Stuff like this fascinates me :001_smile:

This is true and was until fairly recently thought to be caused by the glass "flowing" down.

BUT its now thought that the glass was thicker at one end when produced. The glass was blown and then the resulting cylinder was cut and unrolled, this method of manufacture results in one end being thicker than the other.

They put the thick part in the base of the frame as it will carry the weight of the glass above better.

That's what I finally found too.

I was sort of playing off the glass rumor for the redwood, just to have fun with the piece, because I was pretty sure that several folks had heard the older glass version that I was told word of mouth.

So that antique glass was sort of "low hung"

If glass really could flow slowly over centuries, it seemed like it might build an element of doubt or belief that maybe a weird wood growth could too, although it really does not.

I'm sure that glass does flow but I think it is really really slow.

No I'm fairly sure thats been totally disproved now.

If glass flows why not steel or stone?????

They all become liquid at very high temperatures, but they are all VERY solid at normal earth air temperatures.

As above the flowing glass theory came about because medieval glass is thicker at the bottom than the top, BUT this has now been put down to the methods of manufacture at the time.

You may be right.

Its just something I remember reading yonks ago, didnt mention anything about old glass was just about the properties of glass, why light passes through it etc and that it is a liquid but has certain properties.

Same book mentioned something about an orbiting teapot! :001_tongue:

All interesting stuff though:thumbup1:

You may be right.

Its just something I remember reading yonks ago, didnt mention anything about old glass was just about the properties of glass, why light passes through it etc and that it is a liquid but has certain properties.

Same book mentioned something about an orbiting teapot! :001_tongue:

All interesting stuff though:thumbup1:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad your paying attention!!:001_smile:

I may be totally wrong, I only pass on stuff I have heard that seem logical to me.

I know I come across as an arrogant knob some times, but its really not my intention :blushing:

wow.

that does make more sense,going to be a struggle to keep a straight face

with the listed building conservation officer though!:biggrin:

On my blog, was only a 300 pixel of one entire tree. Here's 400 pixels (forum software sure shrinks it) wide of just the half with the growth on it. That long thing on the left, is pretty much just connected in the upper 20% of it's length that lays against the trunk. I've seen these shorter without stems. Odds are this one elongated against the main trunk, and after a number of centuries, sprouted from the upper part. Anyhow, to me they look as if it was wood that slowly drips length over years or centuries. Left myself in the pic for size comparison.

redwood_growth_400.jpg.aeb60abd0b639594a10774745add155e.jpg