Arb rates vs forestry...

onesprucetoomany

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to get into tree work in the near future. I'm 34 and currently working as a teacher but I've had enough.

I'm just wondering which route would be the most sensible and future proof! Do I get all my arb tickets or go down the FMOC route?

I've got a good idea of what climbers get paid due to having a good read of many of the threads on here, but I couldn't find any info about rates for harvester and forwarder work. Could anyone fill me in?

If I go down the arb route and do a fast track course such as the one offered by kingswood, do you think it's likely for me to be able to earn above 23k quickly?

Someone said in another thread that FMOC work has better rates than arb, but any advice from someone with experience would be a godsend.

Cheers me dears! :thumbup:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning! Welcome to the forum.

It's a bit of a piece of string question really in that there is no true answer but I expect it is in the arb world if you are good at the job - and all the things around it ie. how you present yourself/marketing/people skills etc that you can make more £.

:001_smile:

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to get into tree work in the near future. I'm 34 and currently working as a teacher but I've had enough.

I'm just wondering which route would be the most sensible and future proof! Do I get all my arb tickets or go down the FMOC route?

I've got a good idea of what climbers get paid due to having a good read of many of the threads on here, but I couldn't find any info about rates for harvester and forwarder work. Could anyone fill me in?

If I go down the arb route and do a fast track course such as the one offered by kingswood, do you think it's likely for me to be able to earn above 23k quickly?

Someone said in another thread that FMOC work has better rates than arb, but any advice from someone with experience would be a godsend.

Cheers me dears! :thumbup:

Have you already had a taste of Arb work ? If not then I would try to jump in with a gang and have a few days when you can dragging brash before jumping in. Yes you can qualify and have the tickets but IMHO you will be climbing perfect trees in your training. Reality can be a bit different so if you can see what the conditions and work load is before making your decision.

Hope this helps

Have you already had a taste of Arb work ? If not then I would try to jump in with a gang and have a few days when you can dragging brash before jumping in. Yes you can qualify and have the tickets but IMHO you will be climbing perfect trees in your training. Reality can be a bit different so if you can see what the conditions and work load is before making your decision.

Hope this helps

Good advice :thumbup1:

I would add-starting climbing so late on will have a huge effect on your body.I started climbing mid thirties,ive always been pretty fit-although i smoked for 15 years and im x forces,but adjusting to climbing knackered me every day.

Will passion and perseverance you will adapt to it but its bloody difficult.

As said above it looks great from the outside lookin in but when your climbing a slimey sycamore on a pissin wet day it can get to be a right downer.

Be prepared to start at the bottom-even with all your tickets.

As for earning 23 grand a year...imo not a chance..not for several years anyway.I know guys who own companies,successful tree companies who dont earn 23 grand a year.

Free lance climber in the south of England, where the money is, have the potential to earn that but only really good experienced climbers with all the kit could acheive that.

If its what you want to do go for it but be prepared to earn it..

We just make it look easy :001_tongue:

If you want to work in arb for money your walking a difficult path. Most of us do it because we love the outdoors and trees, money comes with experience not tickets in my opinion. Its the best job in the world on a sunny day and the worst when its raining and your working on a shitty, slimy, bendy, ivy covered sycamore over a greenhouse.

I know guys who own companies,successful tree companies who dont earn 23 grand a year.

How can that possibly be considered "successfull"?

I guess the fact that many feel it is tells the OP a lot about his potential earnings:001_huh:

U have never mentioned where u live? Or wot sort of work/life mix u want

Might be easier toget into forestry if u live N eng/scotland

I would disagree with some of the above posts. I know quite a few machine drivers and all are making substantially more than 23k, but they often live in stinking caravan in a midge infested wood 5 days a week, and generally do 12-15hr days

Most machine men are SE but in reality u don't get much say in ur hours or days off as that machine has to be worked and meeting its targets every week

I know 1 owner driver of a harvester and never understand the point in it, obviously i don't know his rates/wages, he's always moaning about rates and breakdowns (as he pays for breakdowns) but he is a very good operator and would make great money just working for his boss without the hassle of owning a machine

As for tickets really doesn't matter wether arb or forestry as still a catch 22, u may have tickets but no experience and thats when u start learning.

In my opinion the best/nicest harvester/forwarder operators are ex cutters as they tend to look out for there hand cutters more and give them a hand where possible as they realise how hard the job can be.

I do think having felling exp does really help a harvester driver as u appreciate/asses wieghts/leans on trees more

I dare say as a teacher u will get great hol's?

Either try to get a casual job as a groundy for the summer/odd days or get a few bsic saw tickets which will come in handy wether arb or forestry

Hi I agree with some points and disagree with others , know 3 machine harvesting crews and they are not on 23k a year, well above that, one guy I sat on machine with a few WK ago was saying most mc drivers are on cubic MTR rate and will earn above £200 for 8hr shift when there away from home and in a caravan yes 14 15 16 hr days but what else is there to do miles from anywhere only drive machine and get more timber down = £400+ a day the guy I sat with did 13600 cubic MTR in 6 and a half WK OK it was some good mature sitka averaging 1.89 cube, in arb your working hrs are restricted in forestry there not, the days of hand cutters in forestry being paid well are on the way back because as most posts above are saying arb is the way and no one is wanting to do forestry work, so them who do go into forestry will make good money,I do both but find it far easier in forestry than arb with more satisfaction at the end of the day.