Looking for Help, Answers and Possibly Work!

MikeFearon

Disclaimer: I have posted this exact same thread in the employment forum but thought I'd get it in here to boost the viewing potential. Apologies if this your second time viewing! (maybe leave a reply?...:lol:)

Hi guys

I've always wanted to get into arboriculture but I followed the rules and went and did my A levels and then got a degree as was expected of me.

Two years later I find myself miserable, trapped in an office clicking my life away when I could be outside doing what I've always wanted to do.

I've had a look online at the various courses on offer but due to some stupid financial decisions I'm in a situation where it's impossible for me to save money. (Also because I'm paid so little). I'm sure the qualifications are absolutely essential in order to progress in the industry. But in all honesty I would be happy at this moment in time to just be outside pushing wheelbarrows filled with logs back and forth if it meant I had a foot in the door to the industry and could learn on the job.

Where do I start is my main question? Will I be able to pay my bills pushing a wheelbarrow full of wood around? (This is purely hypothetical lol) How long would it take for me to learn the ropes? (no pun intended). I'm pretty dead set on being a climber, so I'm wondering how long it would take for me to learn what is needed for the qualification?

Finally I understand the industry is huge and there are many different forms and sub degrees of tree surgery. But if I was to get a job would it be contractual/ part time/ full time etc? How is the consistency of work?

I live in Derbyshire and can travel to Manchester/ Sheffield/ Derby or anywhere within that radius.

So first and foremost if anyone has the time to answer my questions that would be beautiful. But secondly if anyone can offer me a foot in the door I'm a hard worker and I'm looking to get my foot in the door!

Cheers and thanks for reading,

Mike

ps. I've been made aware of the tough and dangerous nature of the work... But that's part and parcel of what draws me to it!

Hi Mike,

Have you thought about doing a few days (holiday from your office job) or some weekend work to test the water and see if tree work suites you?

When I started out many moons ago I called round all the local tree firms until I found one that was willing to give me a trial on Saturdays, it worked out and I've done trees ever since.

You'll get a lot of knock backs for sure, but thats the first test to know if you want it enough. I'm sure you'll find something as you're looking at a big area.

Hi mike,There are a good few people i know,myself included who have come into tree work later in life and made a success of it.Id say get your basic tree felling ticket,chipper and trailer licence as these will make you more employable by tree companies.Its great having a job that gets you excited enough to roll out of bed in the mornings with a smile on your face.Dont get me wrong,wet cold days and dealing with problemaric clients can be taxing on even the most enthusiastic worker.

But its a very rewardi g job if your passionate about it.I wish you every success.

Good luck mate

• 2 weeks later...

The reason your post was not answered in the employment section is because it is locked and no one can type a reply . You need to post your phone number when posting in the employment section . Good luck by the way .

I don't know how old you are but I say take grumpydavesmith up on an offer if he's making one and do a day or two to test the water. Tree work is hard on the body and you need to make sure you are ok with that, if you are and it's part of the attraction then welcome to the club, it's particularly great in the summer when your day is outdoors in excellent weather, can't beat it!

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk