Cedrus libani question

tig121

Hey guys, new here

Wanted to ask what I can do with this to make it produce seeds as I am not sure if it is fully mature yet

I twisted this off the branch of the large Lebanon Cedar in Walpole park, west London, this week if that helps

Also how long does it take for it to start sprouting multiple leaders? Truth be told I am actually trying to grow a Cedar bonsai but all of the pictures I have seen of c. libani bonsai only have one leader, so perhaps they are not old enough? I don't know. I realise this is a dendrology not a bonsai forum so what happens in soil with a proper root system may not translate to a bonsai

149721491537511220445.jpg.df750540c4c391a98930c823966403e0.jpg

Thank you Farmer Tom, will see what I can do about getting it open then

EDIT: just realised there is a difference between general tree talk and arborism. I was under the impression they were the same thing since arbe means tree in French. That being said, how do I delete my account?

Keep in a warm place like direct sunlight..I've dried them in a green house for a few days and they should open up.

Multiple leaders ? Trees usually form with 1 leader, multiple leaders are created by removing the dominant leader so all other branches struggle for dominance resulting in multiple leaders.

Good luck any way. Even after extracting the seeds they can be difficult to germinate, cold stratification helps.

Thank you Farmer Tom, will see what I can do about getting it open then

EDIT: just realised there is a difference between general tree talk and arborism. I was under the impression they were the same thing since arbe means tree in French. That being said, how do I delete my account?

Hope that's not because of what I said. I only meant Bonsai from seed would take a very long time. I used to create Bonsai starting with neglected plants from the back of a garden centre, or naturally deformed or sheep-grazed hedging. I don't get the time for Bonsai these days...

Anyway, this is the general chat section and nobody's mentioned cats yet :001_smile:

I think cedar cones ripen on the tree, before disintegrating in situ and scattering the seed that way. A cone gathered in June is probably not ripe yet.

I tried several times to germinate cedar seeds, waste of compost to cut a long story short. To grow a Lebanon cedar bonsai in it's characteristic multi-stemmed shape, find a pot-grown one with plenty of lower branches and cut off the leading shoot. Then prune, wire and re-pot for twenty or thirty years.

Hope that's not because of what I said. I only meant Bonsai from seed would take a very long time. I used to create Bonsai starting with neglected plants from the back of a garden centre, or naturally deformed or sheep-grazed hedging. I don't get the time for Bonsai these days...

Anyway, this is the general chat section and nobody's mentioned cats yet :001_smile:

No not at all I just thought that in an arbosist forum someone doing a bit of gardening was out of place

Really interesting how you would create bonsai from neglected plants. Did you simply pick up the ones the centre didn't want and begin pruning?