Bearings

Stefan Palokangas

Hey folks

The bearings on my stump grinder now went so bad so the cutting arm wobbling, and causing the belts to snap.. put on new belts for a lot of value and it jumped off broke stretched and was of no use. Placed an order on 6 belts, 2 bearings, and a pulley, and some rhino teeth.

On this shaft on the predator 38 it is 4 bearings, and two pulleys on the same shaft.

Any of you guys changed this ? Perhaps could give me some advice before attempt it. What i'm wondering is simply if i need a bearing pull tool for this ?

Been using the machine in this state for a good half year, and lost count how many belts i snapped, jumped off, must have costed me a good 600 pounds in belts alone.

Kind Regards

Stefan

Don't know this machine, but I'd be checking the shaft for wear if you've run it that long. It won't do the new bearings much good if it's worn

it's actually not the bearing itself thats worn, its the other bit. Or so it seems, or looks. I don't know the name in english for it. the thing surrounding the bearing..

Most machines tend to use two bolt cast iron 'pillow' block bearings. They are easy to change and usually locate on the shaft with two allen type grub screws. Unless they are corroded, they should slide off relatively easy. The makers recommended ones are always expensive as importers and retailers all add their costs on. Best thing to do is find the equivalent high quality bearing and fit it yourself! RHP do some very good ones which will match your current ones. They also do belts! Just get the code from your ones and find an alternative! For instance, all 'V' belts have a code such as A64 in the part number. That means it is an 'A' profile with a 64 inch internal diameter.

You should find pretty much any bearing or belt you need here at a vastly reduced cost!

Buy 2 bolt cast iron pillow block housings online

Shame you are so far away or I could come and help. Then again, it isn't or we would be in competition!:001_rolleyes:

Regards

SG

I don't really see how anyone can really make a living from doing stumps if they can't fully maintain and repair their own machines as they require constant TLC due to the harsh life they lead. A new machine will last a good while, but will eventually self-destruct even if maintained properly. The cost of a new machine is a lot to recuperate, so you can't just keep buying new ones! Effective maintenance and repair is the only way to make them cost effective.

A £30,000 machine that has done only 530 hours has already cost you £56.60/Hour in purchase alone without running costs, fuel or profit! That's a lot of money to make back!

Breakdowns that you can't repair yourself cost a fortune in parts/labour and lost work.

I try and carry enough spares and tools so that I can fix a machine myself on site. I've only twice failed to complete a job where I couldn't fix the machine on site.

Edited by Stumpy Grinder

Most machines tend to use two bolt cast iron 'pillow' block bearings. They are easy to change and usually locate on the shaft with two allen type grub screws. Unless they are corroded, they should slide off relatively easy. The makers recommended ones are always expensive as importers and retailers all add their costs on. Best thing to do is find the equivalent high quality bearing and fit it yourself! RHP do some very good ones which will match your current ones. They also do belts! Just get the code from your ones and find an alternative! For instance, all 'V' belts have a code such as A64 in the part number. That means it is an 'A' profile with a 64 inch internal diameter.

You should find pretty much any bearing or belt you need here at a vastly reduced cost!

Buy 2 bolt cast iron pillow block housings online

Shame you are so far away or I could come and help. Then again, it isn't or we would be in competition!:001_rolleyes:

Regards

SG

I don't really see how anyone can really make a living from doing stumps if they can't fully maintain and repair their own machines as they require constant TLC due to the harsh life they lead. A new machine will last a good while, but will eventually self-destruct even if maintained properly. The cost of a new machine is a lot to recuperate, so you can't just keep buying new ones! Effective maintenance and repair is the only way to make them cost effective.

A £30,000 machine that has done only 530 hours has already cost you £56.60/Hour in purchase alone without running costs, fuel or profit! That's a lot of money to make back!

Breakdowns that you can't repair yourself cost a fortune in parts/labour and lost work.

I try and carry enough spares and tools so that I can fix a machine myself on site. I've only twice failed to complete a job where I couldn't fix the machine on site.

Thanks for such a good answer, I done all maintenance myself, and ask if I don't know, thanks for the belts and the bearings place recommendations. Will come in handy.

Shame I ordered so much today, but will be more times

Thanks [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks for such a good answer, I done all maintenance myself, and ask if I don't know, thanks for the belts and the bearings place recommendations. Will come in handy.

Shame I ordered so much today, but will be more times

Thanks [emoji120]

When you get the new parts, take note of the codes and part numbers before they wear away. You will soon find a cheaper alternative, and probably the same one as they buy them from!

SG:thumbup:

When you get the new parts, take note of the codes and part numbers before they wear away. You will soon find a cheaper alternative, and probably the same one as they buy them from!

SG:thumbup:

It was 450 or so for 6 belts, 2 bearings, 1 pulley, plus another 230 or around that for 12 rhinos teeth. Quite sore . I will take note.