jap knot weed

Brett

we are moving into a new yard, had the back area scraped and bunded. on Tuesday i noticed jap knot weed sprouting up through the mounds.

Will hitting it with glyphosate from a knapsack repeatedly be enough or will it need stem injected??

Also thought about painting straight onto leaves, whats the most effective way?

Cheers

Glyphosphatewill do it, spray regularly. The most effective dose is just after it has flowered but seeing as its early in the growing season probably better spray asap.

1 useful tip - when you mix it in the knappsack spray put 2 or 3 drops(and i mean just drops) of washing up liquid in the mix it helps it to coat the plant better.

There's some over the wall from us and I jump over and give it a shot when it is about a foot tall and again at the end of the season when it is powering up the rhizomes for winter and it seems to be working, I have it back to about 20 feet from the wall now. I'll try the washing up liquid in the mix when I go over again.

The company I have been working for give it two sprays a year, first in late may and then the second late summer august/September. Wait until the plant has established then spray coating the stems, and the top and underside of the leaves. After a few years once you see no regrow the cultivar the soil to encourage any regrowth and then spray again.

I sprayed some with a mix of roundup and garlon and it knocked it for six but returned following year. I treated it for 4 years but it still came back.

Finally another company sprayed it and it was gone in a year never to return. I'd love to know what they used!

Someone said don't use too strong a mix as a weaker mix gets taken further into the roots. I tried injecting between the nodes with 10% mix of roundup but death stopped at the first node!