Need a new strimmer/brushcutter

njc110381

Hey guys. I'm well behind on the latest kit at the moment and it's about time I got myself a new strimmer.

I'm currently running a very old and tired FS450. Loads of grunt, a bit heavy but has been no trouble in the many years I have had it. But it's getting on and I want to change it before it does finally give up! I'm looking for something a little lighter. Maybe their FS240? Most of what I use it for is mowing banks and paddocks that you can't get a bigger machine into, but I do also do the occasional shredder knife job. From what I can see the FS450 isn't rated to use that blade but it can and does, and it hasn't had any problems doing so.

What should I move on to? I like the way the 4mix engines run but from what I've read about them I don't think I want to risk it?! There's so much negative press from people who use them. I can't be doing with poor kit that needs looking after almost daily to function properly!:thumbdown:

What's the starter like on it fella? I've had a couple of Husky machines and both had plastic starter pawls that started to slip and needed changing semi regularly! It put me off a bit because the weren't domestic grade tools and it seemed a little silly! On the other hand my first saw was a 254xp - enough said there. So my feelings are mixed on Husky.

I've been running a husky 143r for the last 3 years. Very controllable and not too heavy and plenty of grunt. I was wary of buying it as I've had some of the home owner stuff and it has been crap.

The only niggle i do have with the 143 is that you need to do the whole cold start process even when it's warm. I've also got a mitox with a with the big Kawasaki engine, that's a beast of a strimmer and i usually keep the blade on that.

Sent from my XT1580 using Arbtalk mobile app