new business years resolutions?

flatyre

Seems like the right time to make a few new year resolutions business wise, anyone have plans for streamlining their business, do anything differently etc? I spent last year getting mugged by customers, new business, desperate for work, bending over backwards to keep them sweet so they didn't bad mouth me, the s**t I had to do to protect my fledgling reputation:thumbdown: So i'm thinking this year I'll take a more hard line approach. Just spent two unpaid days this week on a paving job I did in January, customer wanted garden dug out and replaced with paved paths running to a paved circle in the centre, in between paths dug out, weed membrane down, and a good deep layer of bark over the top, the customer stated she had no intention of planting anything and wanted the bark deep enough so her cats wouldn't dig up the membrane when doing their business, roll on spring time and muggins here gets a call, "where's the soil? I want to plant some shrubs and its all bark!" So I then have to dig out the bark, peel back the membrane and fill it up with topsoil before replacing the membrane and bark. Did a one day tree removal job there and somehow the customer (sweet old lady) roped me into doing a whole rake of other smaller jobs for free. Anyway new tax year and new attitude, have had a few grass cutting customers phone up looking their grass cut for cash in handyman prices, took pleasure in telling them to phone a handyman then:thumbup: As a young business is it too soon to take a "take it or leave it, I don't need your business" attitude?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think its a 'take it leave it attitude' , it is more that I've done what was agreed and you want me to do extra its going to be £xxx more. You have to be firm, if you give an inch they'll try and take a mile.

We are in one of those trades where people think they can just ask for extra for nothing. Value your time, put it on your quote that extra time is available at £xxx per 15 minutes should you have anything pop up whilst we are there....

As a young business is it too soon to take a "take it or leave it, I don't need your business" attitude?

Maybe not quite that blunt:biggrin:

We've had a rake of customers over the last few weeks that we've worked for many times before too cheaply.

I put one job up 3x to what it was before:confused1: The customer rang to complain, so I explained the situation politely and said that I'd understand if he wanted to shop around. I know how the long the job takes and what we need to earn for that time - it's as simple as that.

So far, everyone that I've had to do this with has accepted the increases, they know our work and are prepared to pay the cost. If they aren't, well, let someone else do it and join that oft talked about race to the bottom.

If you start cheap and below the competition, that's where you'll stay.

Never too soon, people will take the pi55 given half a chance. As long as you do the agreed work for the price quoted, why should you do extra for nothing. Do written or emailed quotes and list exactly what work is being carried out. Don't mind trimming up the odd shrub when doing customers hedges if they ask but that's it.

We did a turfing job last year and customer wanted a revised price as we weren't there still working when they got home and they thought it would take all day!!!! You'll always get chancers, don't get stressed about it, not worth the hassle. Priced a tree removal last week at £600, guy says I've had a quote for £150, WTF you phoning me for then lol. You'll look back in a few years and say can't believe some of the jobs I used to do.

I don't think its a 'take it leave it attitude' , it is more that I've done what was agreed and you want me to do extra its going to be £xxx more. You have to be firm, if you give an inch they'll try and take a mile.

We are in one of those trades where people think they can just ask for extra for nothing. Value your time, put it on your quote that extra time is available at £xxx per 15 minutes should you have anything pop up whilst we are there....

Why do people think this? Or do they?

Wouldn't all customers expect to pay a painter for painting an extra door?

Why do people think this? Or do they?

Wouldn't all customers expect to pay a painter for painting an extra door?

I can't answer why they think this but it I my experience that they do ask 'whilst you are here could you just.....'

My least favorite word is "just".

"can you not do it for less?"

Of course I can. I can even do it for nothing. But I'm not going to.

Be firm. People smell it a mile off when you're desperate or weak & try it on. Don't confuse firm with rude though.

Always make sure you & the customer are clear on what needs done so there's no confusion.

If they ask for extra, say "Sure, if we get time we can add that on. Say call it £...".

We've all been had in one way or another & being firm & polite doesn't come overnight.

On another note I'm a member of the FSB (Federation of Small Businesses". You get lots of benefits with the £150 ish a year nembership. One of them is free legal representation which is handy to know you have. Also includes free tax investigation insurance which costs about the sane as well & you can have up to about £150-£200 worth of treatment (physio, osteo, whatever) a year too.

Best money u spend a year.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk