Too many tree surgeons?!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Are there too many tree surgeons in the UK?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Are there too many tree surgeons in the UK?

• Far too many; so much competition I can barely survive!
    • Not too many but don't need any more!
    • Could do with a few more to be honest!
    • Nowhere near enough. So much wood and so little expertise!

What do you reckon? 20 - 30 years ago I hadn't really heard of or ever seen a tree surgeon. Tree work as such was seemingly a MUCH smaller industry. Now there are ever increasing numbers of us chasing ever decreasing amounts of work. Beyond saturation point imo. Controversial? I'll strap myself in for the abuse!

Ironically, timber harvesting companies down here lament the fact that they can't find a cutter for love nor money... and that's with harvesters!

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Tree work has gone threw the roof over the past 10 years, When i started if i saw another tree firm once every 2 month i was shocked and wanted to know out of interest who it was, Then gradually more and more vans and chippers turned up now i see a few on a daily basis. If they were all legit and did work to a high standard i dont think it would be too bad but it seems these days there are too many horror stories about tree work/workers. Extremely cheap work done to a poor standard has become more and more apparant. I think theres too much of that these days

What do you reckon? 20 - 30 years ago I hadn't really heard of or ever seen a tree surgeon. Tree work as such was seemingly a MUCH smaller industry. Now there are ever increasing numbers of us chasing ever decreasing amounts of work. Beyond saturation point imo. Controversial? I'll strap myself in for the abuse!

Ironically, timber harvesting companies down here lament the fact that they can't find a cutter for love nor money... and that's with harvesters!

What kind of rates do they pay?

whilst working in west suffolk for only a few days we saw 4 different companies driving around.

if you search 'tree surgeons' within 25 miles of my postcode on yell.com, you get about 30-40 results!

i wonder what the figures are for newly qualified vs. recently retired over the last few years....