Waste Carriers License

Dean Lofthouse

This is a subject that really needs clarifying.

I have just visited

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/2006/week5/inter__24ecaa86-38f7-411f-a219-7fda5a288f59_6dbf1b95-ecd3-46fd-a64a-b017c91b6555.pdf

....and it is still not clear to me what bracket we come under.

It seems to me you only need one of these licenses if you dispose of your waste at a pay tip.

I take my chip to my land to store and sell, I certainly do not class my chip as waste, I class it as a product to sell and my logs as fuel.

I did some tree work for a well known brewery in Tadcaster last week. I took down two trees and cut them into logs for one of the lads on site as I normally do.

I was then told this lad was not allowed to take these logs off site without the license. I think this is wrong if the logs are to be used as fuel and not tipped.

You are still liable to prosecution if you have this license and fail to get a tip receipt, why can't you just get a tip receipt in the first place as proof , why do we have to have a license aswell.

Apparently if you as Mr Joe Public cut your lawn, you can take your clippings to the Council tip, no problem, if you cut the elderly gentlemen next doors lawn, you will have to buy a license at £150 in order to take his clipping to the transfer station and then obtain a receipt.

I think this is a vast grey area that we all need clarifying, does anyone know what the score is for us.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ring up the Environment Agency, they'll tell you you need one even before you tell them what you do. What I was told was this..

you need the licence to carry waste (regardless of where it's going) if you do not produce it yourself. Their meaning of "produce" is different to what normal english speakers would understand. The person who issues the instructions, etc. is the producer of the waste, not the person doing the work. If a garden owner asks you to prune a tree, which you do, they are the producer of the waste, not you.

I don't know where you stand if you're saying that what you're carrying is product, not waste. I get the feeling the EA would say that logs for fuel, for example, would only be such if the trees you felled were grown for the purpose of being harvested as logs. As for taking chips to your land, there was an ongoing thread on this, under "renting a yard". People who have been storing chip and logs on land have been accused of operating an unauthorised waste transfer station.

The whole waste issue is pretty much a fiasco, in my view. A lot of it stems from European legislation, which had been on the cards for a long time, and those in a position to do so have totally failed to plan for any of it - as usual! :thumbsdown:

There are a few sites which deal with all of this..netregs.gov.uk is one such site.

I really find this all a bit ridiculous. My relatives in Australia have their trees maintained regularly, and they have quite a few, large trees on their property. Woodchip is considered such a valuable commodity in their area, that it is always left on site for the clients own usage. Why can this not be encouraged more in this country? It will reduce the "carbon footprint", reduce fuel and running costs, benefit the client. And most of all, will save all this stupid expenditure and paperwork. How much trouble would it be for us to do this?