Dutch elm disease reaches Tain

scbk

Used to be restrictions in west yorks in the eighties, burn it on site or remove bark to prevent the beetle being transported.

Surprised that the claim is that the timber has no value, the fungus is only in the sapwood.

Is it true that in those days, the tree had to be felled and burnt on site and... to fell all elms within 500yrds or something. How did that go down with the neighbours beautiful 150 yr old specimen.😕 And who's gonna pay?

Just sort of what I remember from college 20 odd yrs ago...

West yorks had a grant scheme, which didn't last as long as Brighton and hove. ( think theirs may still be in place)

I know one company we're prosecuted by the FC for transporting- fined £150 or something daft.

There was a third LA, I think, who gave grants to remove infected trees (to remove beetle breeding sites) but can't remember where it was. I only moved to W Yorks after the grant had ended, but from what I gather a lot of the conditions weren't actually policed or met.

Surprised that the claim is that the timber has no value, the fungus is only in the sapwood.

I suspect this may be a blanket statement (appearing as it does alongside the comment relating to retaining all timber on site) designed to stop the log fairies, which would be a more genuine issue if the beetles start emerging near other trees.

Alec

I remember my father cutting down 100's of Elms in the early 70's and all decent butts went for milling and if my memory serves me correctly pit props? Obviously what wasn't millable went for firewood and the rest burnt on site. There were no restrictions in the movement of wood killed by Dutch Elm Disease in those days at least in our area.

I felled through the disease in the 70s and 80s,. There was a licencing scheme in place for movement eventually. Diseased timber could be moved within counties that were deemed to have the disease with bark on .

November to March the bug was dormant and timber could be moved anywhere during these months .

The FC did police it to an extent and would check loads,..the merchant I worked for at the time had an inspection on several trailers loaded for delivery , the FC forester marked a load of Poplar suitable for movement,..thought it was Elm,..says it all .