Shouldn't Firemen have basic felling training?

Luckyeleven

I've just been trying to help some firemen with a windblown, hung up lime, but being as it was in a military zone I wasn't allowed in to physically do anything.

They had already been at it about 30mins when I idled down to the bottom of the garden to see what was going on.

By this point the tree had been riddled with so many cowboy cuts that it resembled a slinky.

Im not knocking firemen, one of my best mates is one. Ive nothing but respect for them. But surely the powers that be should insist on some kind of training in tree work? Considering that they have to deal with storm related incidents several times a year?

Anyway tree is on the floor (barber chaired) lamp post smashed, and I'm down 3 plastic wedges :thumbdown:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been trying to help some firemen with a windblown, hung up lime, but being as it was in a military zone I wasn't allowed in to physically do anything.

They had already been at it about 30mins when I idled down to the bottom of the garden to see what was going on.

By this point the tree had been riddled with so many cowboy cuts that it resembled a slinky.

Im not knocking firemen, one of my best mates is one. Ive nothing but respect for them. But surely the powers that be should insist on some kind of training in tree work? Considering that they have to deal with storm related incidents several times a year?

Anyway tree is on the floor (barber chaired) lamp post smashed, and I'm down 3 plastic wedges :thumbdown:

I agree, we (I say we as I am a firefighter) should have some basic tree felling/chainsaw qualifications and knowledge. I do believe that some fire brigades and fire and rescue services in this country do have some training, however I can only speak of knowledge of my own brigade. Only the USAR (urban search and rescue) appliances (of which there are very very few compared to standard fire engines) carry a chainsaw, that being the rescue version of the stihl 460 with those super expensive carbide chains (not sure if they have any felling training, probably not). No other appliances in our brigade carry chainsaws. Policy is that, should you attend a windblown tree for example you would make sure there was no life risk cordon off the area and request attendance of, a tree surgeon to deal with the tree. Should there be a life risk, maybe a tree on a car with person inside, it would be more likely that hydraulic and pneumatic rescue equipment (e.g. "Jaws of life, rams and air lifting bags) would be used to release the casualty.

I do think chainsaws, breaking down of broadleaf crown and windblown knowledge would be advantageous though

I'm retained, the time we've had issue with a tree we had to wait for council highways team or hack with a blunt bow saw or axe

In the current climate with cut backs 'they' wont pay for the equipment and PPE on trucks. I've said a few times an battery saw and some chaps should be good to go

Edited by JLA Arborists

Unfortunately this is where "cant fix stupid" really kicks in, ditto for ambulence drivers destroying clutches(absolutly needlessly) when bogged on a bit of wet grass, or binmen driving down glassy smooth ice in a cul-de-sac, then wondering why they (i) cannot get turned, (ii) or magically drive back out uphill.

I.e any of these great nationalized services simply cultivate stupid.

Send em on a course and they will ALWAYS come back rubber stamped as trained, no matter how cognatively challenged they happen to be.

When its quiet at the station I suppose a tree choppin job might not seem a bad idea.

But in an emergency, they aught phone a tree surgeon up an get them to remove any fallen tree's...

Tree Surgeon, chops down tree's

Fireman, puts out fires....

A brain, somethin we use to see where a reliable tree surgeon might be contacted, I'm sure firemen have them like everyone else...

Where would the training end?

Should firemen have training in the use of a disc cutter or jack hammer, incase they get called out to a vehicle that's gone through a wall?

Theres a reason why employers dont normally pay for formal training with jackhammers or disc cutters, but do for chainsaws....

I dont think one guy on each engine with basic training is too much to ask for.

When its quiet at the station I suppose a tree choppin job might not seem a bad idea.

But in an emergency, they aught phone a tree surgeon up an get them to remove any fallen tree's...

Tree Surgeon, chops down tree's

Fireman, puts out fires....

A brain, somethin we use to see where a reliable tree surgeon might be contacted, I'm sure firemen have them like everyone else...

Sorry I should have made it clearer, I'm in France where the firemen do everything, Drive ambulances, destroy wasps nests etc etc.

Although the basic point remains.