Dust from wood stove

rustcutter

I have a problem with dust around the house which seems to be very fine ash from the stove/stove servicing activity and especially in that particular area.

Has anybody ever tried an air filtering machine? something like a fixed hoover which is constantly but gently filtering the air near the problem area or coming on periodically timed but would have to be fairly quiet.

There may be just such a machine available but I can't think what it would be called for the purposes of a "google" search.

You may think just get a duster but the dustfall is noticeable within hours.

I have a problem with dust around the house which seems to be very fine ash from the stove/stove servicing activity and especially in that particular area.

Has anybody ever tried an air filtering machine? something like a fixed hoover which is constantly but gently filtering the air near the problem area or coming on periodically timed but would have to be fairly quiet.

There may be just such a machine available but I can't think what it would be called for the purposes of a "google" search.

You may think just get a duster but the dustfall is noticeable within hours.

Buy Dyson Pure Cool? Link tower purifier fan | Dyson Shop

I think Kevinjohsonmbe mentioned something similar for a family member with allergy.

This is a bypass filter, it takes a small amount of air from the room, filters it and then issues it at high pressure to entrain more flow.

You could make something similar with some PC power supply fans in series with a HEPA filter.

I quite fancy making a wet scrubber in combination with a small dehumidifier.

I think Kevinjohsonmbe mentioned something similar for a family member with allergy.

This is a bypass filter, it takes a small amount of air from the room, filters it and then issues it at high pressure to entrain more flow.

You could make something similar with some PC power supply fans in series with a HEPA filter.

I quite fancy making a wet scrubber in combination with a small dehumidifier.

what a waste of good money.......

Build your own for a tenner...... buy a fan, point it towards a homemade filter and the good air comes out the other side...

I have seen the Dyson machines but never closely; what happens to all the crap?

Would anything with a tissue type filter need daily attention? Probably would in my house!

The filters are replaceable and contain activated carbon to remove aromatic compounds, like a DPF on a diesel engine they sense when the filter needs changing and I suspect the filter is over 50 quid.

Build your own for a tenner...... buy a fan, point it towards a homemade filter and the good air comes out the other side...

Good luck with that..... "...Automatically removes 99.95% of allergens and pollutants as small as 0.1 microns from the air..."

Perhaps I should have said, if it's the dust that's a problem, get a duster. If it's air quality, get a Dyson! :biggrin:

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

Good luck with that..... "...Automatically removes 99.95% of allergens and pollutants as small as 0.1 microns from the air..."

Perhaps I should have said, if it's the dust that's a problem, get a duster. If it's air quality, get a Dyson! :biggrin:

His complaint is dust.. a fan pointed into a tube with a rag on the end should work just as well for that...

That dyson is a con if your asking me.... why bother filtering out every particle known to man while in the house, when after walking out through the door the works undone...

This chap built one https://woodgears.ca/dust/air_cleaner.html

Workshop filter are one hell of a lot cheaper than Dyson's offering http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Health___Safety/Dust_Extraction/Microclene/microclene.html

I don't know a lot about this but do you have enough air flow from the house up the chimney? Otherwise I guess the chimney would be working backwards to a certain extent? It is probably worse on windy days? Mine used to do the same until I installed the correct air flow to the room, mine was installed incorrectly by the previous owner. the manufacturers usually publish the requirements, otherwise Axminster do a fine filter dust extractor designed for workshops, good luck