Wind blown trees

Dean1984

As everyone is aware there is loads of trees being blown over, in the past I have gone out and cleared trees locally before the pros have even got close. But since joining this forum and reading countless posts I have a new found respect for what all you professionals do and would not want to lose anyone income just for my firewood/hobby :001_smile:so today despite having the opportunity to go and clear at least 5 trees I have stayed at home and resisted. what I want to know is how do I stand in the eyes of the law going out and clearing up wind blown trees?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a touchy one. Presuming you do not hold/have PPE, a chainsaw ticket, have no public liability insurance, traffic management quals inc regulations met on site and permission sought/lights/additional groundsman etc....potentially very bad !! But to be absolutely Honest, legal liability aside, no mucker is ever gonna stop, check and ask you your legality when you have a chainsaw in your hand and are clearing the road for them! emergency situations can lead to impulsive acts. If it ever went to court I highly doubt you would face any serious comebacks. The council however may want their "firewood" back lol.

And for what reason you were clearing them.

If you just took it upon yourself to 'clear' someone elses tree for no other reason than taking it for your benefit without permission, i would say that is more or less theft.

If a windblown tree were posing danger to a person, property or blocking your access i would think that is a reasonable reason for doing a certain amount of work (minimal) - if you were competent and informed the owner of your intensions however, im sure there would be insurance implications of some sort.

I would advise you to tread carefully.

Too many senarios to give a definative answer really.

As everyone is aware there is loads of trees being blown over, in the past I have gone out and cleared trees locally before the pros have even got close. But since joining this forum and reading countless posts I have a new found respect for what all you professionals do and would not want to lose anyone income just for my firewood/hobby :001_smile:so today despite having the opportunity to go and clear at least 5 trees I have stayed at home and resisted. what I want to know is how do I stand in the eyes of the law going out and clearing up wind blown trees?

I haven't a clue about the law on this, but who's gonna complain if your chopping an obstickle out the road?....

And I'd think about it along the lines of saving someone the cost of removal..

Some old dear might of just saved a couple of hundred quid, and you got yourself a free load of firewood. your both winners.....

Opposite the entrance of the yard we used to rent, a rotten limb of willow about 8 inches thick (so not huge exactly)had fallen in the road, large enough to cause a major obstruction on a busy high speed b road, but easy enough to clear with a chainsaw in 5 minutes. I thought I'd call the Highways Agency just to be legit, and said i have a chainsaw ticket and insurance, "would you like me to clear it- I'm not after money, but there is going to be an accident if I don't?" the repsonse was, no don't worry we will send someone to clear it asap. About a day and a half later...a bloke in a HA van with a bow saw turned up. No traffic cones or signs, naff all else. Official procedure transcends common sense yet again