Vehicle & trailer recovery insurance cover

Dawsie

Hi,

I've just posted in the insurance section but thought I would ask the question here as well.

I'm having trouble finding a company who will insure my vehicle and trailer for roadside recovery in the event that my vehicle breaks down whilst towing trailer with quad/chipper on board.

This has never happened to me (yet) what do you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance

OK, Spud, I'll run with that, but its the recovery of the trailer and its contents, be it quad or chipper that I'm focusing on.

I'm of the understanding that AA or RAC recovery/roadside assistance/breakdown cover won't recover the pickup and the trailer because of the length/width limit, surely someone has had this happen to them?

I imagine wot would happen is they send a flat bed low loader type thing to pick ur motor up and hitch ur trailer on the back.

Years ago my old navara broke down (drive shaft to front wheel diff) so constantly spinning even when not in 4wd drive so they had to send a tilt bed? out.

I'd double check wit AA/RAC.

It would be against the law for them to tow a trailer attached to a towed motor and more than likely over the wieght limit

There's a lot of people with caravans that break down car on truck caravan hitched up behind , I personally have been in the AA for about 20 years only ever used it 4 times 3 local and 1 60 mile away in the lakes with a 17ft boat on a trailer it wasnt the car that broke down it was the boat trailer axel that failed (trailer only 8 month old at the time) got boat on trailer recovered no problem , and drove car home what you need to remember is the AA have a lot of small breakdown recovery firms contracting to them and once they have got your signature they get paid regardless of how they did it.

If your travelling regular long distances then probably best to get one of the national recovery outfits but check all the small print! Some have weight limits and also exclude older vehicles. Small print might also say they will only recover you to the nearest repair centre! They might also spend all day getting you back where you want to go by relaying you from recovery to recovery. If your staying local find a local recovery company, speak to them and get some costs. Whats the chance of you breaking down requiring recovery anyway and 3 or 4 years membership fees for one of the big organisations could get you recovered. Carry a list of local firms that could recover you. The best option is 'the mate network" who can tow, fix punctures, have trailers etc:thumbup:

I think both the AA and the RAC say in the small print it's for personal use only, not business, but I've never had a problem being recovered, even in a signwritten van with trailer.

Costs about £100 a year for roadside relay recovery etc and that includes cover for the other half in any car she's in! Make sure you buy it through a cashback website and swap from AA to RAC every year for the new customer price!! :thumbup1: