Repollard tree (complaint)

Carl_s1991

Evening,

On Tuesday , we were sent out to repollard a tree blocking satellite dishes at a transmission station. The job scope was purely repollard, with a small amount of waste away predicted on rams and job value was low too. This morning, my employer recieved an email from our contracts manager saying the tree was left in a poor shape and we should have shaped the tree within the works. My argument is the scope purely said repollard along with job value and predicted waste away etc. We are being made to return unpaid for potentially a mornings work.

What do you think? Advice appreciated

Edited by Carl_s1991

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course pics speak volumes, but if the trees have been repollarded, then what is there to shape? Do they want the bole carved?!

:lol::lol:

I'd perhaps come at your question from a different angle from the advice given so far....

Could you explain the organisation and how you fit into it?

If you are a subcontractor working up a chain of hierarchy of organisations, it might be relevant to consider the possible outcome of your reaction and how it could affect future relationships.

But....

From what you've written, it "looks" like you're an employee? If that's the case, being asked to return unpaid to remedy what might have been an ambiguous or poorly presented job spec.....

Well, that's a big ask and could justifiably be answered with a short expression of displeasure involving fornication and travel.....

Should have explained in a little more detail;

We subcontract to a nationwide company.

The trees were repollarded back to previous points. No heads were removed.

The client was more than happy with the work, they were showed the work, they signed off on our job sheet.

It is our contracts manager who has kicked up the fuss, he has done one of his "surprise" visits. Not sure if he is under pressure from above or whatever but if someone says repollard a tree with a value of £150 (2 men 1/3 day) and 250 kg waste away. I don't expect to be cutting any heavy.

When I say we return, as in our team. My boss won't make any money, we'll just drop on something else after.