battery not charging

nottstrees

hi i have an entec 25ph and i have recently changed two batterys they seem to last around six months and then start to fail and wont start the chipper

the only thing i have tryed is charging it up again and then disconnecting the battery and then the machine cuts out not sure if it should do that ? any advice would be appreciated thanks mick i have put this on here was waiing on the timberwolf tech help with as yet no reply just wondered if any of you had the same problems ?

Look straight at the engine from the front.On the lower lhs you will see the rectifier / regulator. 3 wires. 1 purple and 2 white I think. Check these connections as they corrode badly. Clean them and then test voltage with a meter. You need to have about 13.5v coming out. Call me 01449 770044 if you need help.

Regards Mike

As a simpler test in case your using the wrong wire, with the engine running check the voltage across the pos and neg terminals. Switch it off and check again. It should be higher with the engine running.

I'm a bit confused by what your saying originally. Do you have problems during the 6 month period or is it just that after 6 months they stop working?

R

Hi Nottstrees

The earlier machines were manufactured with different engines,

I think that you have a m/c with a Honda engine, the early model had a rectifier fitted with a trickle charge of 1.2amps which charged the machine at a low rate when in operation, and with the use being a stop / start of the machine this was not sufficient to charge the battery. the only way to keep a charge in the battery is to run the machine all the time.

There is a retro kit avaialble from Honda but the price is so expensive that it is nearly the cost of a new engine.

Later models had a rectifier with a 3 amp trickle charge which is capable of keeping a battery fully charged with the stop / start operation of the machine

If you provide me with the serial number of your machine I should be able to look up the records and find out which engine you have.

regards

Timberwolf Tech Support