Licenced small arb contractors?

petestarbuck

Just an idea. I lost out on yet another decent job today as a result of apparently not being a 'bona-fide' outfit. That basically means that as I'm not A A approved I don't get a look in. Anyone fancy starting a co-operative, ran by us, for us. A legit trade body that focuses on safe, quality and appropriate working practices not just if you're big enough to rent a workshop or yard and spend thousands making sure your fire exits are adequate, even tho you spend 90%of the day out on site!! How about the title British Association of Licenced Small Arboriculture Contractors? Any takers?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The AA approved contractor scheme caters for all sizes of businesses. The requirements of the scheme are based on legal compliance for the size of the company. There are approved contractors out there that only have one employee with no office etc. Unfortunately you only hear about the larger firms. Have a look into it, you may be supprised!

As Adrian said, there is already is a system in place that has been suitable for small (and large) traders for a number of years now... I am sure Paul will be on to promote the scheme, contact him and go along to an ArbAC Preparation Workshop. They are free I believe.

I can see it now, pair of conkers for a logo! Look awesome on the truck eh. Being a bit serious tho, is there not room.for another trade association, that local authorities and large corporate bodies recognise? Someone had to start the A A, CHAS, Guild of Master craftsmen etc. Why not start a new one for us?

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

I can see it now, pair of conkers for a logo! Look awesome on the truck eh. Being a bit serious tho, is there not room.for another trade association, that local authorities and large corporate bodies recognise? Someone had to start the A A, CHAS, Guild of Master craftsmen etc. Why not start a new one for us?

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

Do you know many MP's? & have bundles of cash in brown paper envelopes?...

The AA approved contractor scheme caters for all sizes of businesses. The requirements of the scheme are based on legal compliance for the size of the company. There are approved contractors out there that only have one employee with no office etc. Unfortunately you only hear about the larger firms. Have a look into it, you may be supprised!

Make it the British association of legally licensed small arb contractors and you have my support. Tree workers and allied trades symposium could be an alternative

Just an idea. I lost out on yet another decent job today as a result of apparently not being a 'bona-fide' outfit. That basically means that as I'm not A A approved I don't get a look in. Anyone fancy starting a co-operative, ran by us, for us. A legit trade body that focuses on safe, quality and appropriate working practices not just if you're big enough to rent a workshop or yard and spend thousands making sure your fire exits are adequate, even tho you spend 90%of the day out on site!! How about the title British Association of Licenced Small Arboriculture Contractors? Any takers?

Not because you didn't have 20 trillion pounds public liability?