Diesel/heating oil tank - steel or plastic?

scbk

Looking to get a small oil tank to accept red diesel deliveries, circa 1000L, and ideally a slim one to hide out of sight

Both steel and plastic tanks (new) start at the same sort of price, £300-£400 for this size, any suggestions which is better?

Steel rusts but plastics go brittle and crack?

And plastics need a full width base but steel only need pillars?

I do plan to move at some point in the future so might have to empty it and take it with me! :sneaky2:

I did buy a cheap 2nd hand steel tank locally but when I gave it a good clean up at home I felt it was too far gone so cut it up to make a coal bunker! :laugh1:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to get a small oil tank to accept red diesel deliveries, circa 1000L, and ideally a slim one to hide out of sight

Both steel and plastic tanks (new) start at the same sort of price, £300-£400 for this size, any suggestions which is better?

Some while back the NFU warned of thefts from plastic tanks where a hot pipe was pushed through both the inner and outer to get the diesel out, after the thieves receptacles were full the tank was left draining.

And plastics need a full width base but steel only need pillars?

I do plan to move at some point in the future so might have to empty it and take it with me! :sneaky2:

I did buy a cheap 2nd hand steel tank locally but when I gave it a good clean up at home I felt it was too far gone so cut it up to make a coal bunker! :laugh1:

Ive used both in the past and had no problems with either. Pick the tank which is easiest to install and most suitable for your needs.

The metal tanks seem to have more choice on outlet sizes, (last time I looked, was 15 years ago!)

plastic is easer to move empty though. Either tank should, ideally be bunded

I have one of these -

1bc057de3c7c955830af2888c05011ca.jpg

640 litres. Manual pump on the top, valves and hose. Bit skinnier than a normal IBC.

Never had any issues with condensation.

The manual pump is a bit of a faff sometimes as you need two people or to be able to park right next to the tank so you can hold the nozzle and pump at the same time. Often I just fill a jerry can from the tank and then in the machine. Not ideal but I only run smaller machines with circa 20 litre tanks.

Got it new from smith of dean. Would recommend it/them.