Lock up full of tools not being used.....after honest opinions!

stewie

Hi all hope the new year is going well for you. Basically I had my own tree/gardening business for a fair few years and have built up a steady arsenal of stihl tools along the way! However last March I got offered a job as a self employed courier and I've not looked back since tbh. Easy money, work guaranteed all year, never rained off (sometimes miss that on a Monday tho lol) and no stress with pricing, dealing with customers/public etc BUT that also means all my saws, strimmers, hedge trimmers and blowers are sat doing sweet FA! ive been speaking to the main guy at the courier company and he is telling me to get ready for a busy year and has promised work from now right up till june 2018! And that's what's just in the books now! The money's good to and my original plan was to save up by a decent truck and chipper and go back to sweden for a summer and find work over there but now it's looking like I can make better money on the driving work without the hassle lol its just my tool's that worry me now tho! What would you lot on here do?? Sell them and buy more in future or keep them in storage till I need them with all the risks of storing tools (theft/gathering dust etc) I get attached to my tools which I know I shouldn't but they have earned my corn in the past and it's hard to say goodbye lol please be brutally honest what you would do as that's why I asked :thumbup1:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone. I'm selling all my Arb gear and client list.

I'm going to be a delivery driver as I hear the money is good and it's an easy job!

Lol!

Lol that's the thing tho mate I doubt I could do delivery work forever but after 10 yrs of looking for work it's nice to go home at the Weekend and switch off tbh, maybe it's just the time of year and I'll freshen up in spring lol

And when I say make more money I mean actual cash in my pocket! On a good week of banging the hours and rounds in on delivery work I can earn upto £650! Average has been £500 and my Berlingo van does 500 mlies on £50! To come out with £450 myself on tree/garden work by the time I had paid fuel, wages, tip fees etc i would have to be earning £1000 a week as a company!

Hi everyone. I'm selling all my Arb gear and client list.

I'm going to be a delivery driver as I hear the money is good and it's an easy job!

Lol!

Judging by the "shape", shall we say, of most delivery drivers I see, I'd say it's probably easier than arb work.

No offence Stewie, You know what I mean....

I would keep the tools , provided you can make them secure as possible ( and insure them ) . Fill them with Aspen . It would cost you more to replace them than you would get for them if you sold them .

Can you literally just leave them full of aspen and then pick them up weeks later and use them?? I'm off today so if so I'll spend the day doing that!

Judging by the "shape", shall we say, of most delivery drivers I see, I'd say it's probably easier than arb work.

No offence Stewie, You know what I mean....

Lol yeah of course mate! I go gym alot more now tho so keep myself fit that way and walk the dogs a fair few miles each weekend with all my free time of not messing about with quotes etc lol

Keep the tools, they worth more kept than resold, you never know, summer may land and you think to yourself, why be in a vehicle all day when I could be outside doing a bit.

It's a shame I can't do both part time tbh that would be ideal but the courier firm don't mess about and only want full timers which is fair enough I guess.