Did this really happen?

porangi

Quite a few years ago i done a whole side of a small valley.

Was cutting for a sky line and the trees were all small daimeter SS and all sitting back, felled the first couple normally but was a real pain as trees too small to get wedges/bar in and even a big bar wasnae enough to tip them over and all the branches were clinging on to neighbouring trees.

Even wedging wasnae really working,(doing dogs tooth cuts didnae help either) u could wedge some of the trees over to well past 45 degrees but were not heavy enough to break free from all the neighbouring branches

No idea how many trees but valley would of been 10-15 trees in each row, took me a about 4 hrs of constant cutting to prep it all.

The things u do when ur young daft and indestructable, really wished it was filmed as it worked like a dream (luckily enough).

Can always remember just after i had started them falling at the top of valley the foresters car drove up the road, if he looked in his rear view mirror he'd have seen the lot come down and i'd be sacked

I first read about wiley old loggers using the dominoe affect to yank a sunken bulldozer out of a lake, as a child in the fourth grade, before ever climbing a tree for money.

A great children's book, written in 1951.

Bookride: Stephen W. Meader. Bulldozer, 1951.

Jomoco

Reprints can still be bought at:

Books & Shop

Also one about lumberjacks in there!