Want to gain experience but not given the chance

Carl_s1991

Hi all, I have 18 months experience climbing and I want to advance myself in climbing but I'm not really given the opportunity. I do dismantles and stuff but it's the formative work I want to get better on. We use a freelance climber for alot of out reduction work- he is bloody good. But he is also double what I'm paid! I want to approach my boss but wondering how I should go about it? I don't want to come across as being an a**e but it's getting to the point of if I can't get the experience here I'll have to go elsewhere. I'm a team player, I'm not a climber that comes down and does nothing but digging out bushes and rounding trees over with trimmers isn't what I want

The subbie may be paid double, but he don't get sick pay, holiday pay, has to supply his own equipment and PPE. Then out of the double he also has to pay income tax and NI payments. Things aren't always as simple as they seem.

Back to your original question. I assume that the boss is reasonable and approachable? Have you actually discussed why you're not getting the opportunities?

I'm sure that he has his reasons, find out what they are and see what can be done to address them. From an employers point of view, the more that can be done with the staff you have the better, so theoretically it would be a bonus for everyone if you learnt more.

Good luck!

Imo you need to put the money thoughts to one side. For the reasons already stated plus the fact he can just do the job.

As the others say talk to your boss about how you want to learn more.

Don't mention money as there are too many that want paying top money yet aren't worth it yet.

Once you are good enough you will get the pay rise as you will be worth more to the business

My wage isn't the problem, I was putting that forward as a way to say, he's willing to pay twice as much but won't let me try. If he can afford twice as much he should be able to put longer on the tree if needs be. I have mentioned a couple of times about wanting to learn more etc, he then says your climbing tomorrow- tomorrow comes and it's hardly climbing. It's laughable. I start getting a great shape into smaller trees, but time is getting on, so out come the big ladders and trimmers. It's always rush rush and I'm not given the time when I get the chances to do formative work

I understand you can't spend all day doing a job. But surely as said above, he'd want his staff to do it rather than a freelance at 2x as much?

But the freelance isn't costing twice as much as someone else said earlier( sick pay holiday pay NI tax equipment etc) all costs you don't have.

Are you stacked out with work? If you are then he's in the position that he needs to get work out the way asap.

If you really feel like he won't let you move forward then you may have to leave get a new job/go on your own

But the freelance isn't costing twice as much as someone else said earlier( sick pay holiday pay NI tax equipment etc) all costs you don't have.

Are you stacked out with work? If you are then he's in the position that he needs to get work out the way asap.

If you really feel like he won't let you move forward then you may have to leave get a new job/go on your own

Surely to my boss the freelance is costing twice as much? He has to pay 180 per day for the guy, surely the freelance pays his ni/tax not my boss? He pays him 180 at the end of the job, that's double what I get. It's upto him if he declares it etc but it still goes out of pocket as 180. We are busy but could easily manage

Like I said it's not wages that I'm after. I'd take a cut for experience

Edited by Carl_s1991