Vauxhall Frontera opinions needed

flatyre

Hey folks my L200 arbtruck project is going to take much longer than predicted so I need something to act as a back up vehicle in case the van needs to come off the road, I also need something that can be used as a family wagon as the wife hates our laguna estate and is trading it in for a Modus which is fine for running the kids to play group etc, but we need something bigger for weekly shopping trips and days out. I have always had a soft spot for the older Frontera but never owned one. They are getting quite rare round here and the few that crop up for sale are usually petrol engined swb rust buckets. By chance I found a cracking 2003 four door 2.2 diesel in amazing condition parked at the back of a mechanics shed for two years as it needs a new drive shaft. Looks like it has been waxoiled a number of times in its life, immaculate half leather interior, four brand new tyres, perfect bodywork, solid chassis, sills and inner guards. Owner is a retired teacher who downsized to a fiesta when the cv joint went. Have him down to £400 but although its a really clean motor is it any good? Won't be doing any major off roading, just need something I can occasionally throw some saws into and tow my 10x6 trailer.

Have had 4 fronteras', 2.0l, 2.4l petrols, 2.8tdi and now a 2.2dti. The 2.2dti is a reliable engine with only the fuel pump to watch out for. There is nothing wrong with the pump, but it relies on fuel for lubrication. You will kill it if you dry crank it after running out of fuel for example. I get mid 30mpg. 4wd is activated by vacuum, split hoses can cause the odd issue, but nothing that can't be sorted easily and cheaply. The whole frontera range gets over looked (rightly or wrongly?) and that keeps the prices low.

Have had 4 fronteras', 2.0l, 2.4l petrols, 2.8tdi and now a 2.2dti. The 2.2dti is a reliable engine with only the fuel pump to watch out for. There is nothing wrong with the pump, but it relies on fuel for lubrication. You will kill it if you dry crank it after running out of fuel for example. I get mid 30mpg. 4wd is activated by vacuum, split hoses can cause the odd issue, but nothing that can't be sorted easily and cheaply. The whole frontera range gets over looked (rightly or wrongly?) and that keeps the prices low.

Hafta agrozzle with ya there Jim. I tink they are overlooked and i always fancied a 2.8TDI. Ya cud drop a trooper 3.1 lump in there too i reckon if ya felt the need but they don't make much if any more BHP over the 2.8 unit. In the mean time my trusty 3.1 pickup just keeps on goin. :thumbup:

I had one . I think the 2.4 petrol . Used to burn oil a bit but I kinda liked it . Not very good on fuel . It did pull a stuck Landy along a deep rutted track once ! I dont think the bloke knew how to drive properly but non the less it got were his Landy could not . I was quite surprised . Got to the point were it used too much oil so I sold it .

Drove a crewcab in work for five+ years. First with its original engine, whatever that was and then with a recon' Izuzu engine. Both just about got by but both were gutless wonders. The underside was always needing patches welding. The suspension was bouncy even by pickup standards. Water and oil were not a problem but it drank fuel. The one really good point, was it was good for fording deep water and mud, which it had to on a fairly regular basis.

It failed almost every MOT, until the time when no amount of welding was going to get it to pass. Turned out the original factory conversion to a crewcab, had been done by just bolting a wooden cage between the front seats and the load-bed. Then covered over with sheet steel. One time it went in for a new exhaust and as it was raise into the air, it literally snapped. It was only then, that its original construction came to light.

I had a 2.2 Frontera for a good few years - awesome piece of kit. 4x4 was pretty decent on it, went anywhere I wanted it too. Towed well, dragged a caravan all the way up to Pitlochry, also tooled around with the in-laws plant trailer and dragged a number of different horse trailers around. Father in law is a farmer/contractor and he was impressed with it and how it would get places.

Fuel economy never seemed too steep.

I did look for one before I bought the Ranger, I only went for a pickup in the end as the wife said I couldn't put my saws and stuff inside a car.