Grass reinforcement matting?

sandspider

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the above? E.g. ACO GroundGuard

I'd like to lay something like this across the lawn so I can get a small tractor, maybe the odd car and trailer of logs across it without turning it to rutted mud. This looks like it would do the job? And also look lawn like once the grass has grown through...

I suspect though it's not just a matter of laying it down, pinning it in place and waiting for the grass to go through it, I guess it needs scraping off of soil, laying of compacted hardcore, then sprinkling back on of soil and grass seed... If it does require all this work, is it worth the effort? Has anyone used this sort of thing successfully?

Thank you.

The Water board laid some near me a few years back . Takes the weight of a big crane (to remove / lower the pipes in a bore hole ) Sprinkled a bit of grass seed here and there and the grass weeds come up through it . Seems to work fine in this " industrial " capacity . Would have thought if you take a bit more time and trouble sowing the grass it would be ok .

Many years ago when I worked on schools (council job) we put something similar down where cars were parked as an overflow sort of thing and with the introduction of more cars it became permanent parking. The ground held but the reinforcing gradually sank and disappeared.

I've just gotten back from the Legoland hotel and they used that stuff in the hotel car park. Looks like it had been there for a number of years and seemed to be wearing very well, especially considering the volume of traffic they receive.

Not sure what they used for the base layer?.... it didn't seem to be sinking much at all. Maybe they used some hardcore beneath?.... or maybe Terram to stop the whole lot sinking into mud??

cheers, steve

I done the ground work for a car park in a playing field for the community council a few years back, who wanted this mesh.

I cant remember this exact spec but it was some thing like, excavate the area, lay edgings, 150mm hard core compacted, 80mm clean stone for drainage. Then the firm who supplied the mesh came to finish the installation, laying terram, screeding sand across the area, laying the mesh tiles, and topping off with screened top soil and seeding.

The lads who where laying the tiles, said the edgings where quite important to hold the mesh in place, as they layed them tight side to side, between them. I would hazard a guess not so important in a domestic situation, using it yourself.

The grass grew, very slowly in my opinion, and seemed to yellow a bit in summer, maybe too free draining? I don't pass there often, but it still seems to be there and not muddy and rutted in winter.