Cheap bluetooth comms, review and install guide

Fredward

I decided to write this review as it might be helpful for those looking for a cheap entry to the BT comms world. I would have bought mine a lot sooner if I’d known which set to buy and how to set up. I wont go over the benefits but they are huge.

20161017_182630.jpg.72bdcd3341caf2b9fa7d97b5552b4d9b.jpg

Have dreamt of a pair of Senas for a few years now, but found it hard to justify the cost. There was Chinese versions available but still ½ to 2/3 of the price (we get overcharged for electronics in NZ). Someone put me onto aliexpress.com and so I ordered these waterproof ones for 1/6 of the cost of the Senas (I saw the same model on Amazon UK), the name is 'BT-S2'.

Bear in mind we've only used the comms for two days, and a few days on my own streaming music from the Bluetooth - but I haven’t been disappointed. When using saws/chippers, the microphone will cancel out much of the noise, you will hear the saw rev up initally, and then then volume is reduced by the unit. If this is still annoying it’s easy to put the units in standby mode until someone is ready to talk. With the mic boom tucked inside the helmet the person can be heard clearly in a quiet working environment. If using saws/chippers then the mic can be pulled down closer to the mouth and the person can be heard talking over the equipment (distorted but audible). Haven’t tested range in a clear line of sight, but used today in two separate properties separated by the road, and could still communicate. The units were approx. 50-60m apart with buildings and trees in the way. Unsure on the lifespan, but saw a video on YouTube of someone submerging the unit in a bowl of water whilst turned on.

Pros

Cheap in comparison to Senas

Can link 3 units together

Clear comms

Bluetooth link to phone for streaming music/calls

Battery life more than enough for full days work (haven’t tested much longer)

Range acceptable

Easily installed

Water ‘resistant’ or water-proof depending what you read

Automatic noise cancelling

Has a separate port for aux and an aux cord supplied

Has FM radio

Not bulky, wires easy to hide

No battery to knock off

Cons

Can’t pair more than 3 units

Music streamed to one set doesn’t seem to stream to all units (may not be impossible but I haven't figured it out.)

Range somewhat limited

Takes a second or two switching between ‘modes’, and switching units on and off is a little tedious (hold button for 3 seconds, etc), volume adjust also a little slow

FM radio works but haven’t picked up many clear signals

Instructions came in 'Engrish'

Installation on Petzl Vertex

Can be used with the clamp alone but found it moved around. The Velcro alone doesn’t offer much security but both at once works perfectly. Attach sticky back velcro pad to rear of the unit. Attach corresponding Velcro onto the helmet. I positioned it by sticking the two pieces of Velcro together on the back of the unit, testing placement, then removing the backing of the second Velcro pad, then placing it on the helmet, thus sticking to the rear of the helmet. Attach clamp provided and tighten up.

20161017_184912.jpg.5d6f7e062b17d5607721ba69fa902b9b.jpg

Thread the mic/earpieces above the harness of the helmet. The mic attachment should go on the left side of the helmet, as in the photo (left as the helmet is worn on your head). In the picture the mic boom goes out to the front, which is on the right of the picture.

20161017_182716.jpg.fd6b851f1c826d4c749e59d9c5c18d33.jpg

If you have a vented helmet it will mean the left vent wont open any more. I found the Velcro didn’t hold the mic steadily so I attached it to the webbing with a small cable tie as shown, works well.

20161017_182705.jpg.f8a7a95577a9744a53ac23391515f8d5.jpg

The ‘short’ wired earpiece goes on the left side of the helmet, and the long wired earpiece goes to the right.

Can be set up so the wire goes into the earmuff and sticks to the foam, however I found the wire annoying as I could feel it touching my ear, two colleagues haven’t had issues, but I drilled two small holes in the earmuff to make a tidier install. This is done by drill a hole, approx. 1.5-2mm at the edge of where the hygiene kit/seal meets the cup. Then remove the seal, and continue to drill until the wire will slot into the hole/s. Replace foam over earpeice. Obviously this compromises the earmuff somewhat but I've not noticed. Also applied some silicone around the hole.

20161017_185153.jpg.fc6d76a4263dbbe5a1d8721cc53348e2.jpg

20161017_185004.jpg.d027a75a239e5fde18384fe5e07b19d3.jpg

20161017_184953.jpg.f1343469d5b7793304d8f608075c11fc.jpg

20161017_185334.jpg.c54aa313110e27af398e609581104672.jpg

You could tie up the wires to the harness inside the helmet but they are a good length and I haven’t needed to.

Here are mine. Very similar idea but I kept it all attached to the muffs. I was planning on taking just spare muffs to put on other people's helmets when I sub but that's a fvck on so I bought a whole helmet setup to take instead. You can still take the muffs off if needed of course. Takes about a minute. Mine are the 800m range ones from ebay. £60 a pair. Can be bought individually. Available from loads of sellers with different branding but I imagine all fairly similar. They're usable at about 200m (not tried further) through trees and buildings (some buildings distort the sound more than others) and are surprisingly good with background noise from machines. I have speakers in both ears. Both is way better than one. The wire between the two speakers just sits loose in the cage of the helmet above my head. Any spare wire (not much) is in the muffs.

1.5mm ish drill to pilot and do the wire holes

4.2mm drill (M5 tap drill) to drill holes for the mounting screws on the muff hanger

3/16" file for the boom mic slot

any narrow saw blade for wire slots

IMG_1869.jpg.a16dc0903fa0b3fed283229ceab940ea.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg.5f48da98109af3f5652f0aa670ade9ad.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg.200b95c5b92b8e26b7b8a9453bcccc23.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg.df35030fcb4cd6542d614a5a665ecbee.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg.02c6c6a1bafcd211ac24eee90d1493be.jpg

Edited by AHPP

I hope these aren't brilliant because I've just spent my wife's shoe money on three sets of the new Sena things.

Lol!

I was just wondering if you still wanted to buy the sena's but obviously not. Did you get new ones? Is there a new model out?

P.s. I've still got a set of 3 SENA 20s for sale if anyone is interested.