Cheapest way up a tree.. lost quadcopter

Tommyk

Hello. Im new here.

Unfortunately i probably wont be bringing much to your forum but im hoping some of you wont mind answering a few little questions for me. Ive done lots of googling and watching videos on youtube so ive gained abit of knowledge.

Basicly ive got my FPV racing quadcopter stuck at the top of a 90 foot plus tree. Ive tried everything to get it down and now the only option is to climb it. I tried climbing it with a ladder but it stunk of a trip to A&E so now im trying to do it more safely.

Im trying todo this as cheaply as possible as my gear will only be used when one of our quadcopters gets stuck in a tree so hopefully only a handful of times.

Ive got a rock climbing harness but when comes to the rope im stuggling to pick which to buy. Ive worked out that tree climbing and rock climbing rope is different. But the proper arborist rope seems alot more exspensive.

Would it be dangerous to use normal climbing rope not designed for trees? It will only be used a handful of times but im not sure how much they will be affected buy the friction of sliding over a branch etc. Proper arborist rope designed for daily use seems like overkill.

If anyone could point me in the direction of the cheapest but still safe rope i can buy, i'd be grateful. I only need around 20 meters.

Edited by Tommyk

Call a tree surgeon/arborist and ask how much , i usually charge 50 pounds if its local.

Most I ever got was a bottle of scotch from our local aero model flying club.

If the tree is free climbable I wouldn't have a qualm about using rock climbing rope and harness, using a running belays and a man below. Main thing is having a secondary strop to anchor in before pulling the climbing rope through and doubling it round a suitable anchor before descending.

If it's dead or requires spikes then stick with a local tree man.

The problem is its on a farmers field. And the bits left on it that cant be damaged buy water are only worth £90. £250 if the electrics arnt damaged buy water. Then if it happens a handfull of times paying a man £50 a pop to get it down soon adds up. It would just be more convenient to have the gear at hand to get them back same day before it rains?

Would standard "climbing rope" be upto the job?

Its a living heathy oak tree. First fork is 25 foot off the ground

That rope would not be suitable, for starters it will be below the required strength. 8mm rope is supposed to be used in pairs. You will need to be looking at something 11mm really. 10.5mm at a push. I climbed with 10.5mm rock rope for a while with a mechanical ascender. I would not advise using a prussik rope on a nylon rope really.

I am not a professional tree climber, done a bit of rock climbing, if it was me in your situation I would be using my normal 11mm dynamic climbing rope, a few short slings, a set of quick draws and my mate belaying for me, and I would be up that tree getting my toy back ��

Do you know the basic techniques or have a mate that does, where are you?